Author Topic: San Francisco to San Diego Spring 2017 Hostels and places to stay  (Read 422 times)

Offline ptr52

Hi
I will be cycling from SF to San Diego in April and May 2017.
Does anyone have any experience of the HI hostels in SF? (Or other hostels etc in SF)
I am looking for budget accommodation with bike storage.
Also any advice on accommodation between SF and SD on the PC bike route would be appreciated.
Apologies if I have missed any relevant posts, I did search but could not find a great deal.
Regards
Pete

Offline John Nelson

Re: San Francisco to San Diego Spring 2017 Hostels and places to stay
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:51:56 pm »
Cheap accommodations along the entire Pacific coast are readily available if you are carrying camping equipment, with the exception of in Los Angeles. Unless you ride a long ways, you'll probably spend one night in LA. You can probably arrange a Warm Showers host in SF and LA. The ACA maps identify the campgrounds and hostels. The Pacific coast is generally great for cheap places to sleep.

Offline ptr52

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:31:58 pm »
Thanks John

What is the policy at the biker/hiker camp sites?  Do they always accommodate cyclists who turn up irrespective of how full they are?
I am not sure if I need to book anything in advance, I don't want to book any more than I need to as it commits me to a fixed schedule.
Regards

Peter

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:50:57 pm »
In general, you can expect a campground with hiker/biker sites to always accommodate you. This might not officially be the policy on the books, but you can almost always count on it anyway. I've been to a number of hiker/biker campgrounds which were technically over their defined hiker/biker limit, but they always squeeze you in anyway. I've also been to a number of campgrounds without hiker/biker sites and that were full, but they squeeze you in somewhere too. I've also several times been offered a chance to share someone's site in other campgrounds.

Somehow it all works out. Nobody is going to ask you to go cycling down the road in the dark.