Author Topic: Fund-Raising for an Educational Cross-Country Trip?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline mkadam68

Fund-Raising for an Educational Cross-Country Trip?
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:01:15 am »
Not enjoying carrying stuff with me when I ride, I thought the best idea for a cross-country trip would be to go with a tour company: they could carry it all for me! I'm kinda leaning toward PAC Tours. They seem to be a bit cheaper than others (probably 'cause they only do 3-4 weeks) and I do enjoy a challenge: 100+ miles/day would definitely be that.

I'm thinking of raising funds & soliciting sponsorships. The idea would be: I'm a middle-school teacher and am trying to utilize technology more and more in the classroom. I would send images, blog-posts, etc... back for my students (and/or sponsors) to follow. Other teachers could play off the various places & historical sites visited (math, science, reading, health, fitness, history--it's all in there!). It would be an educational trip of a lifetime for my kids, and for me! However, the funds would first go to PAC Tours and then other trip expenses (for instance, I'd want to get a laptop for the journey--although I could use my cell phone if necessary). There wouldn't be a non-profit receiving funds. (Extra, left-over money could be donated to student scholarships at our school--they're regular features of our school for student supplies as they go on to high school.)

Would this be a bad idea? Would it be "bad form" to solicit sponsorships? From companies? From individuals? Would people look at me and say, "Yeah, right!"

Offline mucknort

Re: Fund-Raising for an Educational Cross-Country Trip?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:37:11 pm »
Here's a middle school history teacher from Florida that is currently riding from CA to VA then down to his home state of FL. He is fundraising using wrist bands.

http://www.tourofdiscovery.com/

Offline cyclebum

Re: Fund-Raising for an Educational Cross-Country Trip?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:36:51 pm »
Here's another one.

http://familyonbikes.org/