Author Topic: Vancouver to Florida or the other way?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline tonythomson

Vancouver to Florida or the other way?
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:11:35 pm »
Setting off in April 2010 to cross diagonally - for the most help with wind which would be the best direction NW to SE or SE to NW.

Any hints on best routes as plan to loosely follow some of the ACA route maps.

Just finished Southern Tier - awesome.

Thanks Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline litespeed

Re: Vancouver to Florida or the other way?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:15 pm »
Where are you starting? If you're in Florida I'd just head off to Vancouver. The toughest and most sustained headwinds (SE) I've ever experienced was going eastward across Colorado and Kansas - Grand Junction to Wichita. I really wished I had been going in the opposite direction.

In Nebraska and southern Wyoming I have had hard S and W winds. In northern Wyoming I have crossed the state E to W without any appreciable headwinds. In Oregon and Washington, however, you will probably get westerly winds up the river valleys so starting in Vancouver would probably get you tailwinds for a while.

East of the Mississippi the wind direction is dictated by the fronts coming through.

If possible bicycle as little as you can in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana. Bad roads and bad food abound although the people are very nice and courteous. Western Georgia is somewhat better and the KATY Trail across Missouri is a real treat - the longest bicycle trail in the country.

Offline geegee

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33:30 pm »
If you are taking off in April, in my opinion, start in Florida. Any issues regarding the wind are easily offset by the cold wet/snowy weather in the northwest at that time of the year. Hitting the BC/Montana Rockies in April or early May is still leaving quite a bit to chance.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:41 pm »
Thanks guys, decision made, now for the route will check out KATY trail as love doing the trails to rails.
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com