Author Topic: TransAm shortcut  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Shane

TransAm shortcut
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »
Im hoping to win a couple of days here and there along the route so that I can be done within 70 days and have enough days off for detours to things that interest me.

I'm  thinking about the idea of cutting the detour out to Missoula, by heading south-east from Sisters. I see(if I believe google maps), that its possible to ride almost all the way parallel to the 84 without having to get too close to the freeway. Then just above Salt Lake city, I can head roughly east again towards Rawlings. This route will save almost 400mile which give me 5-6 days extra for some detours in the the Rockies (incl. Independence pass:)).

So my questions are;

1. What will I miss if I choose to do this route apart from ice cream in Missoula and Yellowstone.
2. Would it be a big mistake to take this route because its not very pleasant for example? If the published route is ALOT nicer than this route then I'd rather do the extra 400miles and run the risk of not getting to the other coast, a pleasant journey is much more important than the final destination.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

Shane

www.coast2coast.tk

Offline staehpj1

Re: TransAm shortcut
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 04:54:51 pm »
1. What will I miss if I choose to do this route apart from ice cream in Missoula and Yellowstone.
2. Would it be a big mistake to take this route because its not very pleasant for example? If the published route is ALOT nicer than this route then I'd rather do the extra 400miles and run the risk of not getting to the other coast, a pleasant journey is much more important than the final destination.
1. There was a lot of good stuff on the section you would be missing.  I personally would not want to miss Yellowstone or the Tetons.  I would also hate to miss Togwatee Pass  We enjoyed lots of other places too.
2. I don't really know your proposed route so I won't speculate on how it compares.

I will say that 70 days isn't an unreasonable amount of time to finish.  We took 73 and we started off real easy in the beginning since my companions had no opportunity to train before the tour and neither had been riding at all until just before the tour.  They trained as they went and got in shape pretty quickly, but still it cost us at least a few days.  I prefer to allow some extra time so as not to be against a deadline, but 70 days is very do-able.

Starting in Florence helps a bit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:00:43 pm by staehpj1 »

Offline Shane

Re: TransAm shortcut
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »
Thanks,

This is what I was thinking of though this only shave 200miles off and still leaves the option for a detour to the Tetons, or I could  take the route Lower than Idaho falls and save a little more distance.

I also found a journal on crazyguy who took as similar route and his photos look good too]

What I'm looking for is a nice route, and I'm only using the TransAm as a base line and from Pueblo will probibly head more south east, I like the idea of travelling large parts of the route without a strict plan or know route (the old fashion way), especially in the flatter states where a height profile is less uselfull  :)

thanks

Shane

www.coast2coast.tk