Poll

I am looking to buy my first set of panniers and I am leaning towards ARKELS any help out there thanks

help
2 (100%)
help
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: September 08, 2009, 04:43:41 pm

Author Topic: panniers  (Read 5478 times)

Offline headwind

panniers
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:43:41 pm »
any help on arkel panniers are they worth the money?   :)

Offline scott.laughlin

Re: panniers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:43:52 am »
I bought a set of four panniers from REI back in 1997.  I'm still using them.

Scott

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:20:31 am »
I tried to respond yesterday, but I see my post isn't here so I'll try again.

The Arkels are well made, durable, have lots of pockets, are heavy, and are expensive.  If that set of features suits you buy them.

Personally, I like one big waterproof compartment and no pockets.  I value light weight, and prefer a low price.  The Nashbar or Performance Waterproof ones meet my requirements nicely and have held up well for me at a fraction of the cost.

That said any choice will be a compromise and you need to figure out what works for you.

Offline jcostanz

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:59:08 pm »
I love the Arkels.  I ride around with a GT-18BP and tour with a set of GT-54's.  I ride a Greenspeed GTE trike, so the pockets come in handy for the rain gear, wallet ect, while still having a water resistant compartment for purchases or gear that I don't need right then.

When I tour, I put everything in space bags (ziplock style bags that one can roll the air out of).  These keep everything water proof and allows me to carry probably too much gear:).

The Hook system for the Arkels are very adjustable, I haven't seen any rack system that they wouldn't work with.

Offline mikedirectory2

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:23:58 pm »

I haven't tried them, but I have heard good things. 
May the skies be blue and the road be flat... Happy Riding.

Offline valygrl

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:12:29 am »
I have the T28's and the GT54's, I like the former and hate the latter - too heavy, too many un-necessary bells & whistles.  If I had it to do over again I would get Lone Peak P400 for the rear. 

Offline litespeed

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:41:53 pm »
I used to have Bruce Gordon panniers but got tired of messing with the rain covers. Now I have Ortliebs front, rear and handlebar. Totally waterproof and come off with a yank. I wouldn't use anything else.

Offline DU

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:52 pm »
I've had Arkels (GT-54's and T-18's) for 5 years and over 150 days on the road and have had no problems with them at all. I like having all the the pockets rather than digging through a big sack every time I want something. This makes it very easy to keep your stuff organized. The zippers on the main compartments are on the sides of the bags allowing for access when you have gear on the top of the rear rack. 

That being said, I agree with valygrl about the weight. I would certainly consider weight when buying another set of panniers. The panniers she referenced look pretty good to me but they do lack the drybag that the Arkel's have. I would probably consider the Lone Peaks with the rain covers but sadly I don't think my Arkel's are going to wear out any time soon.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:09:28 pm »
I've used a lot of different types of panniers, but never Arkels.  Now I use a 2-wheeled Burley Nomad trailer.  Have you considered trailers?  I think they are a good option.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:10:52 am »
http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/panniers.htm

Several dead links but Mike's old pannier listings will give you many more options to explore.

Asking for opinions about a top of the line product like Arkel is not going to help you make a decision, only to rationalize your purchase.
What do you need in a pannier besides the implied status of the Arkel brand?
Durability, waterproofness, capacity, convenience, mounting system, completeness of system components and other bags, cost, mass, external lashing options, off-bike functionality, and other factors are what usually contribute to pannier purchase decisions. 

The Arkel could probably last 20 years of intensive use for which you pay in cash and weight; do you need that kind of longevity?

david boise ID

I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 11:25:25 am »
Today's date is August 24, 2009, and REI OUTLET has some downscale panniers from Sunlite on deep discount. Cheap way to get started and to see if panniers are right for you.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/796868

david boise ID
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline biker_james

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:30 am »
My wife and I have been using panniers for over 9 years now, and they really still seem like new. A couple scuffs where the bikes (and riders) have hit the pavement, but looking like they'll be good for another 10 years or more. Are they worth the money-thats your decision. They are a top line product.

Offline bikerbob

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:44:38 am »
I agree with Valygrl.  The GT54's are too heavy.  They have travelled with me coast to coast and on many shorter tours.  They show no sign of wear despite 6 years of use. 
I probably would look for a lighter set if I ever do an extended trip again

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 02:33:48 am »
Arkels are great. They have alot to offer. They are also big, (GT54) heavy, expensive, and not sure if you have to purchase additional raincovers. They will last you for years. We really like the Ortliebs. We use them for touring, errands, grocery shopping, and commuting. We have the front and rear roller classics. They are waterproof and are very versatile. They also have there pluses and minuses. Many Americans like lots of pockets to be "Organized." I like waterproof and one big pocket. I do like the little small pockets you could add to the rear roller classics. As for size, we are minimalists, and try to keep our loads as light as possible. The Ortliebs work well for us.

Offline diesel9er

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:10:32 am »
I just purchased some Lone peak 400s, Mt Ranier packs for $150 with rain covers delivered! Brand new. I also inherited some Ortlieb classic panniers for the front. I'll let everyone know about the performance of each. I live in the North Country so may be tough to give a reasonable impession short term but I'll try...
Plus it's a great option when you try to buy American. Jandd have some big $$$ raincovers!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:15:09 am by diesel9er »