Author Topic: SE to NW or NW to SE - ?wind direction  (Read 1982 times)

Offline tonythomson

SE to NW or NW to SE - ?wind direction
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:34:44 pm »
Trying to find what would be the most favourable way to go between Florida  and Vancouver and not have to battle head winds all the way. Is is heading north or start from Vancouver?

Planning to leave mid April 2010
 Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this?  Be very grateful for any pointers.

Thanks Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline roadrunner

Re: SE to NW or NW to SE - ?wind direction
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »
The following website: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/climate/windrose.html (it's easier to Google "wind rose" and select this site than type it in) provides wind roses by month for many cities in the U.S.   A wind rose provides information on the proportion of time the wind is from each direction and and the velocities from each direction.  I've found it handy for planning tours.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:26 pm »
Very generally, air moves west to east across the country.  I emphasize, generally.  Here in the NW, it is more true than some other parts of the US.  Personally, I would go NW to SE.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:25 pm »
Great help many thanks - will probably have to go SE to NW because need to leave April to be back in UK by the end of July. I think that the weather would be too cold in April to start from Vancouver, and too hot by the time I reach Florida, however, if you still think it is doable please let me know.
Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com