Author Topic: Minimalist overnighter  (Read 2114 times)

Offline bogiesan

Minimalist overnighter
« on: September 12, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »
http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2009/08/compact-comforts-of-home.html

A couple of years ago, AC ran an article about nipping off on spontaneous overnighters. The idea was to have a small bag all packed and ready to go. Feel like hitting the road or the trail? You carry just what you need to on your road or mtn bike to ride out, spend the night, and ride home.

Kent does this regularly, it seems, bailing off into the woods uphill from Issaquah WA.

david boise ID
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline johnsondasw

Re: Minimalist overnighter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:06:29 pm »
I ride a lot around Kent's home area, Issaquah, WA.  He has a good area to ride in!  I live about 60 miles east of him just over the Cascade Mountains in Roslyn, WA.  We also have wonderful camping opportunities in our "backyard", even literally 15 minutes away.

Kent does mention in one of his replies that, among other critters in his area, are scorpions.  This is interesting, as I've never heard of scorpions in western Washington.  In the 34 years I've lived on the eastern, drier side of the Cascades, I've heard of someone seeing one once, down along the sagebrush country on the Yakima river near Ellensburg.  Kent, have you seen scorpions around Issaquah or its environs?
May the wind be at your back!

Offline kentsbike

Re: Minimalist overnighter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:53 am »
Kent, have you seen scorpions around Issaquah or its environs?
Like you, I've only seen scorpions on the dry side of the mountains, near Yakima. But I count that as my backyard, since it's less than a day's ride.

BTW, my wife and I will be spending our 25th wedding anniversary in Roslyn, biking and hiking around. Small world, eh?

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA