Author Topic: northern tier or transam?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline brian sweet

northern tier or transam?
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »
Looking for route advice from anyone with experience on the northern tier and/or the trans am routes.
We're heading from the west coast, ultimately up to maine but are looking for:
The most scenic route with the quietest roads.
Any terrain is fine (hills, length, etc), but we want an enjoyable experience.
Thanks for the tips
Brian Sweet
Winthrop, WA

Offline staehpj1

Re: northern tier or transam?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:12:47 am »
I haven't done the NT so I can't compare, but I thought the TA was a great route.

Offline Fred Hiltz

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:56:35 am »
Any route that long will have traffic ranging from none to "be careful" and scenery ranging from grubby to gorgeous. One cannot generalize about such varied routes, except perhaps in summer the NT is likely to be cooler.

We all have our favorites, but I doubt you would find a consensus that one of these routes is "better" than the other. I'll suggest looking at the convenience of start and end points, friends and family to visit along the way, and places you would really like to see.

Fred

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 01:38:03 pm »
If you are gping to Maine you will have to consider that, if you were to do the TransAm, you would then have to head north through some heavily populated areas.  I did the entire NT in '99 and it was terrific.  I then took the Atlantic Coast Route home to Philadelphia.  I have also done the TA from Missoula to Fairplay, CO.  As one poster noted, every route will have its good points and bad points.  While the TA will give you more majestic mountain scenery out west, you won't get to do the North Cascades Highway or Going to the Sun Road (my personal favorite) and Chief Mountain Road.  And for quiet roads, not much beats the rolling hills of North Dakota, which has a population of less than 650,000 people.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:06:21 pm »
Since you live in Winthrop, it would be very convenient to just head east on the NT!

PS Ever hiked the Maple Pass loop out of Rainy Pass parking lot?---Beautiful!
May the wind be at your back!