U.S. Bicycle Route System > Corridor 66 Implementation

West End of NBRS Route 66

(1/3) > >>

lscheetz:
I suggest that the west end of Rt 66 join Rt 70 at or near Barstow CA. and (going westbound) be common to Devore.  From Devore Rt 70 could stay near the north edge of the Los Angeles basin while Rt 66 goes south and west near Riverside and then joins the coast Rt 95  near the southern edge of the Los Angeles area - maybe Huntington Beach.  An option for Rt 66 is to be the Santa Ana River MUT, which passes very near downtown Riverside and continues to the beach.  At present there is a gap of about 10 miles in the developed trail through Norco and Corona, but there are reasonable surface streets available now. I hope to get comment from cyclists who have ridden these areas.
Larry Scheetz

whittierider:
That sounds far more pleasant than riding 66 through San Berdoo, Rialto, Fontana, Cucamonga, and some of the other ones it goes through.

I knew there were discontinuities in the Santa Ana River trail, but I didn't think any were nearly as long as 10 miles.  Do you have any details?  I haven't been on the SART any farther east than Riverdale park, which I think is in Anaheim.  Where it comes out to Pacific Coast Hwy is on the line between Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.

cmmitch357@hotmail.com:
The Santa Ana River Trail is an unbroken Class 1 Bicycle Trail between Huntington Beach and Corona.
From Corona, one can take surface streets to Devore.  The Cajon Pass (Interstate 15) is open to cyclists between Devore and Victorville.  I took this route when I cycled from Orange to Lake Tahoe.

Cheers
Chris Mitchell

bobclay99:
Great to hear of interest in the CA end of Route 66.  There is a lot of activity at the IL end.  With a detailed route mostly on streets & roads but growing number of trails also.  There is also a great bike bridge across the Missisippi River just north of St. Louis called the Chain of Rocks bridge.   For the detailed IL route check out http://www.bikelib.org/route66/booklet.pdf
Is there anything like this in other states?

lscheetz:
My earlier suggestion for USBR 66 going south of Los Angeles may have been too hasty.  The historic Auto Route 66 stays  near the northern edge of the LA basin.  So it would probably be understandable to have Rt 66 go thru Pasadena to (or near) Santa Monica.  Then the  southern route across the LA basin should be labeled Rt 70.  My attempts to find local government and local bike club people have not produced any good contacts - yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version