Author Topic: West End of NBRS Route 66  (Read 14263 times)

Offline lscheetz

West End of NBRS Route 66
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:14:49 am »
I suggest that the west end of Rt 66 join Rt 70 at or near Barstow CA. and (going westbound) be common to Devore.  From Devore Rt 70 could stay near the north edge of the Los Angeles basin while Rt 66 goes south and west near Riverside and then joins the coast Rt 95  near the southern edge of the Los Angeles area - maybe Huntington Beach.  An option for Rt 66 is to be the Santa Ana River MUT, which passes very near downtown Riverside and continues to the beach.  At present there is a gap of about 10 miles in the developed trail through Norco and Corona, but there are reasonable surface streets available now. I hope to get comment from cyclists who have ridden these areas.
Larry Scheetz

Offline whittierider

Re: West End of NBRS Route 66
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:38:14 am »
That sounds far more pleasant than riding 66 through San Berdoo, Rialto, Fontana, Cucamonga, and some of the other ones it goes through.

I knew there were discontinuities in the Santa Ana River trail, but I didn't think any were nearly as long as 10 miles.  Do you have any details?  I haven't been on the SART any farther east than Riverdale park, which I think is in Anaheim.  Where it comes out to Pacific Coast Hwy is on the line between Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.

Offline cmmitch357@hotmail.com

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:27:56 pm »
The Santa Ana River Trail is an unbroken Class 1 Bicycle Trail between Huntington Beach and Corona.
From Corona, one can take surface streets to Devore.  The Cajon Pass (Interstate 15) is open to cyclists between Devore and Victorville.  I took this route when I cycled from Orange to Lake Tahoe.

Cheers
Chris Mitchell

Offline bobclay99

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:35:06 am »
Great to hear of interest in the CA end of Route 66.  There is a lot of activity at the IL end.  With a detailed route mostly on streets & roads but growing number of trails also.  There is also a great bike bridge across the Missisippi River just north of St. Louis called the Chain of Rocks bridge.   For the detailed IL route check out http://www.bikelib.org/route66/booklet.pdf
Is there anything like this in other states?

Offline lscheetz

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:13 pm »
My earlier suggestion for USBR 66 going south of Los Angeles may have been too hasty.  The historic Auto Route 66 stays  near the northern edge of the LA basin.  So it would probably be understandable to have Rt 66 go thru Pasadena to (or near) Santa Monica.  Then the  southern route across the LA basin should be labeled Rt 70.  My attempts to find local government and local bike club people have not produced any good contacts - yet.

Offline lscheetz

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:08 pm »
I am also having second thoughts about the routing of the common Rt 66 and Rt 70 from Victorville to Devore.  My proposed route would avoid using the auto IS 15 through most of Cajon Pass, but a couple of cyclists who have ridden CA 138 (my proposed interstate avoidance route) east of IS 15 tell me that it is narrow with no shoulder and a lot of truck traffic.  There is a proposed upgrade to  Summit Valley Rd, which could be a viable  option if a space was provided for bikes.  I understand that this upgrade is awaiting funding and I'm trying to find someone in San Bernardino county to talk to.

Larry Scheetz

Offline whittierider

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:06:04 pm »
The Santa Ana River Trail is an unbroken Class 1 Bicycle Trail between Huntington Beach and Corona.
From Corona, one can take surface streets to Devore.  The Cajon Pass (Interstate 15) is open to cyclists between Devore and Victorville.  I took this route when I cycled from Orange to Lake Tahoe.

Cheers
Chris Mitchell

Do you have a good route to get from the SART near Corona to Devore?  Looking at the map books, I don't see any simple, easy-to-remember way.  It seems like I'd have to take two big map books, or tear the many applicable pages out to take with me.

Edit, a few hours later:  I took Imperial Hwy to Yorba Linda Bl/Weir Cyn Rd to the SART east today to see how far I could get, and it was only about 3.5 miles before I got to a locked chain-link gate where it was dirt on the other side and there was a sign that said "no trespassing."  This was about 1.5 miles west of the San Bernardino county line.  The trail was on the north side of the river.  I initially expected to find it on the south side, because it's on the south side a few miles west at Riverdale Park; but I know it changes sides of the river a few times also southwest of Riverdale Park before it comes out at PCH 20 or so miles down.  The south side had pavement only a few hundred feet east of Weir Cyn Rd.  I'd like to know how to get beyond these and where the SART is paved and accessible again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:10:29 pm by whittierider »

Offline aggie

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:48:51 pm »
The SART trail crosses over the river at Gypsum Canyon Road.  The relatively new bridge has a very wide sidewalk separated from the roadway.  Don't follow the path under the bridge.  Go over the bridge at the light.  Then bear right to follow the path into the park.  The path bears right and then goes under the bridge.  The SART then parallels Hwy 91.  SART then ends at the Green River Golf course.  If you follow the road it will take you over hwy 91 on Green River Rd. 

If you then take a left on Palisades Dr (just after the storage units) it will end on Serfas Club Dr.  Take a left and follow Serfas Club for about 0.3 miles.  Take a right on the frontage road just before hwy 91.  This will empty on 6th st. in Corona.  This street becomes Magnolia and takes you into the city of Riverside.  At that point there are a couple of different ways you could get to Devore. 

Offline whittierider

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:32:40 pm »
Wow, thanks!  I'm finally making some progress now after having been looking for this info for a long time.  I had to look at the satelite view in a couple of places to see what you meant, but it's coming together.  I hope to go out again and try it next weekend.

Is there any SART north of Prado dam?

Offline aggie

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »
I'm not aware of any SART north of the dam.  It is possible there are some short sections.  If you can find the book "Bicycle Rides - Inland Empire" by Don and Sharron Brundige it might have some other river sections.  I don't think there is a continuous trail that is easily followed.

I'll look around to see if I can find any maps of trails in the inland empire.

Update.  Take a look at this website.  http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/san-bernardino/289413464  It should show a google map with a 21 mile trail that goes from Tequesquito Arroyo Park in Riverside to Waterman Ave in San Bernardino.

Also found this one.  It seems to connect the two sections of the SART.  http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/san-bernardino/705029175

Update 10/23/09  I just rode by the SART at Gypsum Canyon Road.  When you come up to the bridge you will notice that the center lines direct you either to the right (and under the bridge) or go straight seemingly to the intersection.  As you pass the chain link fence and gate you will see a small sign on the bridge indicating the trail goes right and over the bridge (and the Santa Ana River).  There is also a Bike Route sign on the first light pole. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:46:27 pm by aggie »

Offline lscheetz

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 10:24:27 am »
I don't know the best way to ride from the east end of the Santa Ana River Trail at Green River to continue east across Corona and Norco.  But there is a significant section of the SART along the river from the Hidden Valley Wildlife Area to Waterman, just east of the 215 interstate.  I don't know a paved route to get very near the west end of this section.  There is a trail access parking lot at the north end of Tyler (north of Arlington, about a mile west of Van Buren).  So if you can find your way eastbound to Arlington then ride north on Tyler you could ride about 15 miles east to Waterman.  There are easy access routes to get to downtown Riverside about 1 mile off the SART.  I would like to know a preferred route to get from this area to Devore.  Mt Vernon may work and that is the historic highway Rt 66 further north, where it becomes Cajon Blvd.  I have never driven this area, much less ride it.

Offline Alan Thompson

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 07:07:28 pm »
My earlier suggestion for USBR 66 going south of Los Angeles may have been too hasty.  The historic Auto Route 66 stays  near the northern edge of the LA basin.  So it would probably be understandable to have Rt 66 go thru Pasadena to (or near) Santa Monica.  Then the  southern route across the LA basin should be labeled Rt 70.  My attempts to find local government and local bike club people have not produced any good contacts - yet.

I have some local contacts. Send me an e-mail.

Offline whittierider

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:09:31 pm »
Aggie, thanks so much for the details.  Today I rode out to Riverside using the SART and other streets you mentioned, and had a wonderful time-- so much better than my last try which was very frustrating.  I took detailed notes on exact mileages and a few other things by microcassette, so if you want those details for making route slips, I might be able to help a bit.

I will be very interested if someone comes up with a good way to complete the Rt 66 route to the coast at (or near) Santa Monica by way of Pasadena, as previously mentioned.

Offline BikingBrian

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 02:07:46 am »
I live in Orange County, California and I've bicycle toured between Huntington Beach and Victorville. Santa Ana River trail from HB to Corona, streets to Devore, old 66 and part of I-15 to Victorville. I'm very familiar with the Cajon Pass area of I-15 and the alternates.

I've also done a route from Huntington Beach to Palm Springs. Santa Ana River Trail to Corona, streets to Riverside, Moreno Valley, Beaumont, Banning, Palm Springs.

I'm definitely interested in seeing long distance touring routes through the area, and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.