Author Topic: How often are printed maps updated?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Talarspeed

How often are printed maps updated?
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:56:04 am »
I was curious how often the printed maps are updated.  I understand that this site gives the most up-to-date information. It won't be long before I order some TransAm maps and would hate the idea that the next week a new edition came out.

Thanx!

Offline John Nelson

Re: How often are printed maps updated?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:47 pm »
On this page:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/faq.cfm

it says that maps are updated approximately every 1.5 to two years. They also recommend that you wait until close to your trip to order the maps to get the most recent copies. And of course, you should always print the addenda for your set immediately before leaving.

But I have the same question as you about the schedule for planned updates. As far as I know, ACA has never published such a schedule, but I sure would like it if they would, for exactly the reason you mention.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:41:20 pm by John Nelson »

Offline CMajernik

Re: How often are printed maps updated?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:59:33 am »
It is true that map sections are usually printed every 18-24 months but some popular sections sell out sooner, and others last longer. Our policy is to sell the existing maps before switching to the newest reprint, but at the same time we try to not have any maps backordered. So we usually know several months ahead of time which map sections we think we'll need, and those are the ones we work on. With 87 individual map sections for customers to choose from, we also don't reprint maps by route, so if you buy a set you'll most likely get sections that that were printed at different times. 
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes