Author Topic: CYCLE EUROPE 2010  (Read 8611 times)

Offline jennieat

CYCLE EUROPE 2010
« on: October 08, 2009, 03:11:51 am »
Hi guys! I'm looking forward to cycling around parts of Europe (Spain, France, Italy) from June to Sep 2010. Looking for anybody that may be interested, for even parts of the way and for ideas and suggestions. Cheers. Jen

Hi guys! I'm looking forward to cycling around parts of Europe (Spain, France, Italy) from June to Sep 2010. Looking for anybody that may be interested, for even parts of the way and for ideas and suggestions. Cheers. Jen

Offline driewiel

Re: CYCLE EUROPE 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:03:55 pm »
I don't know if you are familiar with Europe. But bon't forget Germany. It has a vast network of bike paths. I also had a terrific ride from Trento to the Brenner in Italy.
France and Spain are great but far behind what bike paths are concerned. It is very important to plan your route well in these countries to find the best and quiet roads. There is a book " The Green Route to the Mediterranean". It describes the route from The Netherlands to the south of France in 2 parts. There may be other people who have done the work for you and I think it is wise to use their experience.

Offline Galloper

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 06:47:55 am »
Hi

There's lots of great cycling in Europe.   Have a look at this site http://www.ecf.com/ for information.   The Eurovelo link will give you lots of information about the longer routes.   One of my favorites is the Loire.   It's great cycling, lovely scenery, plenty of campsites and lots of interesting towns.

I'd also suggest you join the Youth Hostel Association, good for inexpensive accommodation.   For the UK, check out http://www.sustrans.org.uk/

They can provide maps of a number of really good cycling routes.   I particularly recommend the Rievers Route and the C to C.

In Germany, as mentioned above, there are some excellent routes.   I haven't tried them (yet) but the Rhine and Danube routes are supposed to be excellent.

You will find drivers in Europe are generally considerate to cyclists and in many cases, downright friendly.   The only exceptions seems to be Spanish truckers!

You'll have a great time.   

Offline SeanKendall

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:51:28 am »
Switzerland is very cycling friendly with 9 marked national routes, many local and regional routes, and bike friendly trains and buses.  Route maps are at http://map.veloland.ch/.

Offline DrewChilders

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 11:17:56 pm »
jennieat,

I did a ride in France and Belgium this past summer and had a great time.  France was good, and as pointed out Europeans are very considerate of cyclist, but Belgium was the best (though I haven't been to the Netherlands).  Cycling is very strong in Belgian culture and every where I went in Flanders had bike paths.  There are also loads of canal paths to ride.

Here are a couple of websites:
http://www.visitflanders.co.uk/go/activities/cycling
http://www.gamber.net/cyclebel/
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25389

Safe travels,
Drew

Offline achen

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:22 pm »
I am going to be cycling in Spain from mid-march to the end of may. I bought a great book called Cycle Touring in Spain, it outlines 8 tours all around a week long. It's made by a company called cicerone,  believe they have similar books for other countries.  I will be biking on my own, but would be interested in meeting up if you make it down to Spain. Shoot me an email if you interested lyssa.chen@gmail.com
Alyssa   

Offline winsteadi

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »
Don't forget to get good maps.  an outfit called Omnimaps is the place to go - Google them and get yourself some large scale touring maps.  Invaluable.  Also - bike theft can be rampant in urban centers.  Get a good heavy lock.  I will be in the Heidelberg-Strasbourg-Saarbrucken  area in early September.  I'll buy you a beer if we run into each other.     

Offline Jim Johnson

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:39:43 pm »
BikeToursDirect represents more than 40 different European bike tour companies with more than 200 tours in 32 countries: www.biketoursdirect.com. About half of the tours cost less than $1,000. There's a lot of great planning and prepping information there as well.

The current issue of Adventure Cyclist features an article on the Vienna-Prague Greenways tour, which can be booked through BikeToursDirect.

Full disclosure: This is admittedly self-promotion as it's my company. I started BikeToursDirect 6 years ago inspired in great part by nearly 3 decades as an Adventure Cycling member.

Offline the.leap.stl

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:40:38 am »
Hi, first post...I actually just bought a ticket into Paris for May 25th and will be in Europe until August 23rd. I will be solo because I decided instead of being a 24 year old restaurateur, I wanted to see the world (what I call my "quarter-life crisis"). I wouldn't mind traveling with someone or a group for a bit of the trip. I have no set itinerary and don't plan on it. I want to "go with the flow". I absolutely will not pay for a tour...this is not a tour or "tourist" experience...I feel that is for retirees and the unadventurous (sorry if I offend, no intent to). So, what do you all feel about this and is anyone up for the adventure? Break loose and be audacious!

Offline ken thompson

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:13:44 am »
Hi Jen.

I'll be travelling from Australia to tour through Europe on a solo ride to raise awareness about missing children (including my own son). I'm leaving Australia on 13th May for London.  I'll be leaving the UK some time around 25th May (International Missing Childrens Day).

I've never cycled in Europe before so it would be good to join up with some other cyclists along the way.

If anyone is travelling at around that time I can be contacted on kenthompson@fastmail.fm either before I leave or after I arrive.

Thanks to all the people who've posted useful information on this discussion board about cycling in Europe. It's very helpful to someone from the other side of the world!

Ken Thompson
Sydney, Australia
www.findandrew.com