Author Topic: Maps other than ACA -  (Read 2929 times)

Offline tonythomson

Maps other than ACA -
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:52 pm »
Hi here from UK.  I'm a big fan of ACA maps and used them whenever touring, however they are limited to the route and I like to have other maps of the area not only to get an idea where I am in the country but to plot excursions and short cuts etc.

Can anyone let me know who prints the kind of maps that cyclists would find useful and where can I buy them.

(really struggled at time on the ST to find any kind of maps while out on the road)
Thanks Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline JMilyko

Re: Maps other than ACA -
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:04:15 pm »
Hi Tony,

I'd recommend looking on the websites or talking to the bicycle/pedestrian coordinator for each of the states you are passing through on your trip. Often state websites will have mapped routes or at least suitability maps for shoulder widths and traffic counts for you to download. You can reach each state from the following contact page:

http://www.walkinginfo.org/assistance/contacts.cfm

Good luck and have a great ride,
.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline litespeed

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 12:01:52 pm »
I pack a Rand McNally Road Atlas (available from their website). The 2010 edition is available. I apply clear packing tape around the edges of the cover and up the spine to protect it. I keep it folded once and strapped to my duffel on the rear rack. I  put it in a plastic bag when it rains.

I never pass up a tourist center - free maps. If I have to enter or go through a city I get a map and discard it when I'm clear of it.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:59:38 am »
Can anyone let me know who prints the kind of maps that cyclists would find useful and where can I buy them.
I always just pick up state maps when we enter each state and give/throw them away when we leave the state.  I can usually get them for free from state visitor centers.  Also when going cross country some places that usually sell them gave them to us for free, that may have been mostly because my companions were attractive young women though.

There have been only a few times when I had a little trouble finding one, but in those cases someone always let me use theirs to look ahead and plan the next few days.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:37:14 am »
Great advise and much appreciated and have followed up the web site.  Many thanks Tony can't wait to get going

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:31:31 pm »
State departments of transportation should have a department for bicycling, a bicycling coordinator or something. Google the states for their DOTs and see what they are prepared to let you have. Surely they will have something. I just received maps from five states including detailed bicycling maps. They did not cost anything.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:48:22 pm by Westinghouse »

Offline biker_james

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:12:37 am »
Living in Canada, ACA maps aren't available. We just use plain old road maps for our tours. I'm sure most states have a tourism office whose job it is to encourage people to come and spend money there. They generally give away maps, and a lot of other sometimes useful information-campgrounds, stops of interest, etc... Send out a few emails, and they will probably get all the maps you want sent right to your doorstep. Barring that, stopping at the tourist info booth nearly every town has should land you some free maps.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 07:43:17 pm »
You can google map right down to street level in some areas on your route on satellite. A regular road map, and your own directions from google map will serve you just fine. You can see terrain and what ever else before you get there.

Offline dfege

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:45 pm »
For maps that show sufficient details for bicycling, I find that the "Gazetteer" printed for each state by Delorme is a lifesaver.  You can order the Gazetteer on line from Amazon.  I don't take the entire Gazatteer with me, but I take only the pages that I think I will need (literally destroying the Gazatteer). I find that other maps, like State Highway maps. simply don't show enough of the sideroads.  In addition, the Gazatteer shows the topography.  Each State's Gazatteer costs some money, but I have found nothing better, other thatn ACA maps.  They also list campgrounds in the state.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:49:19 am »
Thanks guys - some great advise.  In respect of the freebies from the state line unfortunately most of the back roads we use don't have those State welcoming/info stops.  And filling stations hardly ever seem to keep any kind of quality maps except for use by motorists.  So thanks again and will follow up the leads.
Tony