Author Topic: Cheap volunteering abroad  (Read 1839 times)

msmiller36

Cheap volunteering abroad
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:28:09 am »
I am hoping to do some volunteering while I am travelling, but the companies that I have looked at want more money than my actual flight tickets cost!!
I am hoping to do some teaching in Thailand as I am a qualified teacher.
In Africa I was thinking I would quite like to volunteer with wildlife and also in an orphanage/building.
Does anyone know any companies or ways of doing this cheaper? As I want to do more than 1 program I can't afford the costs that I have found so far!!

Offline Westinghouse

Re: Cheap volunteering abroad
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:18 am »
You can teach English as a foreign language in many countries. Some schools may require a contract for specific periods of time. Others may be willing to let you do it without the red tape. There used to be a book out there called, "Work Your Way Around the World." If it is still available, you can check it out. Another book, "Teaching English Abroad." If you teach math, you might be able to command more money, but math is math and can be taught by anyone willing to learn it well enough.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 05:31:31 pm by Westinghouse »

Offline mikedirectory2

Re: Cheap volunteering abroad
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:39:45 pm »
I wish I had some advice, but I don't I will say though, good for you for wanting to do something good for the world on your vacation!  It's a shame more people don't share your feelings. 
May the skies be blue and the road be flat... Happy Riding.