Author Topic: Tire Question  (Read 4538 times)

Offline John Nelson

Re: Tire Question
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
I only have 100 miles on each pair, all on paved roads, and so far I don't notice any difference. But I'm not that sensitive to tire feel.

Offline Cyclesafe

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 05:24:57 pm »
I have thousands of miles with all three Schwalbe tires

37-622 XR - No flats, not great traction on wet pavement, sidewall failure after 7500 miles
37-622 Supreme - Smooth riding, great traction, tread delamination after 4000 miles, one puncture every 500 miles
30-622 Racers - Fast accelerating, no flats for 2000 miles (so far, still running these unloaded)

I bought into the Supremes buzz when they came out and was disappointed by their susceptibility to puncture and their durability compared to the XR.  Unfortunately Schwalbe is discontinuing the XR, replacing it with three: Durene, Extreme, Supreme.  They leave it to you to pick the one that replaces the XR.

Schwalbe seems to be pushing the Marathon Plus Tour for puncture resistance and durability, but it weighs 890g in the 37-622 .  There is no way I'd run a tire that heavy.  The XR was heavy enough!
Hoping to do the North Star with ACA in 2014.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »
After using all kinds of tires over 50 years, a couple of friends talked me into trying Continental 4000's.  I was getting only about 1000 miles or so out of tires, and they told me they get up to 3000 miles.  They cost avout $60 each, but I figured if I can get three times the mileage, they'd be worth the price.  I'm up to close to 1000 miles on them and see no wear yet.  Also, I love the ride.  I'm using 700x23c on paved roads only.  I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with these and, if so, how they held up.   Also, how many miles are all of you getting on whatever road tires you're using?
Thanks.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline whittierider

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 06:06:09 pm »
johnsondasw, I'm using Conti GP4000's in 700x25, and although I haven't toured on them yet, I just finished off a rear one at 4,000 miles.  One of our son just finished off one at 5,000 miles.  These were both with a lot of climbing and hard riding, definitely not taking time to smell the flowers!  We have never gotten anywhere near that kind of mileage with any other brand on the rear.  This tire has one of the lowest rolling-resistance numbers you can find in performance tires, and is quite good in the puncture-resistance department too, thanks to its vectran breaker belt, which of course is all still there even when the rubber is worn away.  Conti really has a winner this time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:16:33 pm by whittierider »

Offline DU

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 05:23:36 pm »
I used to ride Conti Top Touring 2000's before they were discontinued. I switched to Marathon Supremes 700x35 this year and have 3500 miles and counting with no flats, 2200 of those miles were loaded touring. Very good on wet roads and ride real smooth. I'll replace them with the same tire. I tried a pair of XR's but thought the ride was pretty harsh, but that might just be me.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 06:07:05 pm »
I started to get Marathon Plus until I saw how much they weighed. You can do the PCBR on any good quality tires. However, if you get the $15.00 kinds of tires, you will be changing one back tire on the way. The cheap tires are dependable, but they wear out fairly quickly, and they seem to get punctured quite easily. Cheap 90 psi IRC tires or Kendas will carry you, but carry a spare or watch the wear and know when to change.