Author Topic: TransAm Map Set Update Schedule?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline vertiganr

TransAm Map Set Update Schedule?
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »
Anybody have any idea when the next post-2008 TransAm set will be published/available?  I'm planning a 2010 trip, and need to know whether to buy the 2008s and use addenda or wait for a newer one.  Thanks for any info

Offline John Nelson

Re: TransAm Map Set Update Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:05 pm »
Several of the sections (e.g., 9, 10, 11) already have 2009 versions. I would guess that the rest of the sections will get new versions before your trip. I know you are eager, but hold off. You don't need the maps yet (I know that you want them now, but you don't need them now). From my experience, ACA does not provide an answer to the question you asked. They still need to clear out their existing inventory.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:29:03 pm by John Nelson »

Offline vertiganr

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:04 pm »
I'm in no rush, and I only want them now if there's no reason to wait.  Thus the question.

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 08:47:58 am »
Hi Vertiganr,

I just looked at the schedule for map reprints. It looks like there aren't any more TransAm updates happening until mid-2010. However, I'd wait a bit on purchasing a set since not all of this year's updates are available for sale and you're not leaving for several months. John was correct in stating that we usually sell out of existing stock before bringing in the newest printing. I don't know the number sales has in stock at the moment but check back in a few months to see what the status is. You can contact me directly if you'd like.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline vertiganr

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:36:56 pm »
Thanks - that's helpful.  I'm leaving the west coast in July and only need #1-8, so will keep my eyes out for any updates as time goes by.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 01:12:10 am »
I'm not quite sure how you're going to "keep your eyes out for any updates." It's not easy to tell when updates are available, nor what version you'll get if you order.

Offline vertiganr

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 08:26:44 am »
Thanks - that's somewhat less helpful.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 09:15:27 am »
I'm not quite sure how you're going to "keep your eyes out for any updates." It's not easy to tell when updates are available, nor what version you'll get if you order.
That's easy.  He can email Jennifer or email/call the Adventure Cycling offices.  They are pretty accommodating.

Offline dwnptrl_777

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:57:22 am »
I've asked the same question and was planning to hold out 'til spring of 2010. BUT, we've just decided to drive west for Christmas and use the Trans Am maps as our route, so...ordering a full set today.