Author Topic: Northern Tier-ish suggestions  (Read 1536 times)

Offline mucknort

Northern Tier-ish suggestions
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:29:58 pm »
Our family will be riding from Boston to Seattle to LA starting June '10. The Seattle to LA section is a no-brainer, but wanted to hear of any suggestions, besides the ACA Northern Tier Route, for the Boston to Seattle part.
Thanks!

Offline elcole

Re: Northern Tier-ish suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:56:27 pm »
My wife and I road a combination of the Lewis and Clark and the Northern Tier several years ago in the opposite direction.  By riding the Lewis and Clark we were able to start in Astoria, OR and we switched to the Northern Tier in North Dakota.  We left the NT and made our way across Wisconsin and used Great Lake connector maps to get to NY and eventually Jamaica Plain (the Berkshires were very hard).  We road along the Erie Canal in NY- which was a great part of the trip and not on the actual route.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Offline Peaks

Re: Northern Tier-ish suggestions
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 03:31:06 pm »

Well, if starting in Boston, then you probably need to figure out how and where to hook up with the Northern Tier route.  On a straight shot, you will need to go west across Mass to Albany where you can pick up NewYork State bike route #5.  That parallels the Erie Canal and and the Northern Tier follows the Erie in Western NY. 

For biking in Mass, get Rubels' Bike Maps.