Author Topic: Anyone heard of the Salmon River Basin 800 mile mtn-bike loop ???  (Read 2310 times)

Offline kathy

Has anyone heard of the Salmon River Basin 800 mile mtn-bike loop?  The July 08 mag mentions it on page 19 as something done By Kathy and Roger Cox.  It was one of their favs.  If we can find it, it might become our summer 2010 highlight. We'd also like to get in touch with the Coxs.  We have a lot more in common than our names.  :D
kathy      
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:45:07 pm by kathy »

Offline JMilyko

Re: Anyone heard of the Salmon River Basin 800 mile mtn-bike loop ???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:24:59 am »
Hi Kathy,

I've been in touch with Kathy and Roger. They are a bit busy at the moment but intend to put together something about their route for me to pass on to you.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline kathy

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:55:25 am »
WOW, Jennifer,

I was giving up hope of a response.

I'm so glad to hear from you that they may be able to point us in the right direction.
If they email me, I hope they say "Salmon River" in the subject line, so I won't think it is junk mail and delete it.

I'm guessing that the Salmon River they refer to is the one in Idaho.  So I'm beginning to gather some data in that area.
Do you know?  Is that the right state?

Somehow I didn't seem to get the email that I expected from the forum pgm that would let me know someone had replied.
Should I still expect such an email or has the forum changed.

Thank You So Much,
Kathy Carriker

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:47 am »
Hi Kathy,

If they email me, I hope they say "Salmon River" in the subject line, so I won't think it is junk mail and delete it.

I believe they will email me the info and I'll post it here for you.

I'm guessing that the Salmon River they refer to is the one in Idaho.  So I'm beginning to gather some data in that area.
Do you know?  Is that the right state?

Yes, I understand that the area they rode was in Idaho.

Somehow I didn't seem to get the email that I expected from the forum pgm that would let me know someone had replied.
Should I still expect such an email or has the forum changed.

Did you click on Notify at the top right of the thread/discussion? I think you have to do that in order to receive an email telling you there has been activity in your discussion.

I hope this helps.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:51:17 am »
Kathy (and all other interested in this route!),

I just heard from Kathy and Roger Cox who orignally did this trip. Here is the information they sent me. I hope it helps you to plan your trip. It would be great to get a trip report from you if you do it.

Here is the route description of our 800 mile Salmon Basin mountain bike tour loop we did in August 2001:

We left our vehicle in Salmon ID at a commercial campground, rode south a few miles on Hwy 93, took FR21 up Williams Cr, down Panther Cr.*  on FR55 to the Salmon River where we crossed it.  Headed upstream on FR30, past Shoup, then a steep climb up Spring Creek FR38 to the ridge and Montana line.  Continued NW along ridge on FR44*  and down the West Fork of the Bitterroot on FR91 past Painted Rocks Reservoir.  If you want to resupply near Conner, you can continue downhill, otherwise, we turned west and headed back towards Idaho and Nez Perce Pass on FR468.

We continued west across Idaho on the Magruder Corridor (FR468) with the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness to the north and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness to the south.  This is a beautiful, rugged, remote area, and expect to see maybe only 20 vehicles each day as you travel. When we reached the ranger station at Red River, we detoured up FR234 for some soaking and restaurant food at Red River Hot Springs*.  Inquire locally to make sure it is open.  Back at the ranger station, we continued west on FR22 until it joined ID SR14, where we rode west on pavement toward Grangeville.  Just before Grangeville, we took the Mt Idaho Grade Rd into town, for resupply.

Our original plan was to take FR221 south from Grangeville all the way to Riggins, but we were forced off it and detoured down Slate Creek to Hwy95 because of forest fire activity. After Riggins, we went east along the main Salmon River, turning south up the Seven Fingers Rd, FR 246, bound for Burgdorf Hot Springs*, and on to McCall.  From McCall we took the Lick Creek Rd to the S. Fork of the Salmon, and then headed upstream on FR674/FR474* to Warm Lake (store, restaurants).  We continued east on FR579 (Deadwood River, Deer Creek, Elk Creek, Fir Creek) to Cape Horn Pass, where the road changes to FR198 before joining ID SR21 into Stanley*.  When we got to Stanley, we were running out of time, so we took paved ID SR75 to Challis* and then Hwy 93 back to Salmon.  (We had hoped to ride the dirt from Sunbeam to Challis on FR70, the Custer Motorway, and did this section in the summer of 2009 as part of a more recent trip.)  North of Challis, the Morgan Creek and Panther Creek roads would keep you off of Hwy93.

*The asterisks note a hot springs nearby that we soaked in, some commercial, some wild ones on forest land, check a hot springs guidebook or ask locals – half the fun is discovering these for yourself.  To plan this trip we used Nat. Forest maps and the DeLorme Gazeteer for ID and MT. We encourage other cyclists to try this route or some variation, we found this ride to be truly memorable!

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline kathy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:08:12 am »
Kathy (and all other interested in this route!),

I just heard from Kathy and Roger Cox who orignally did this trip. Here is the information they sent me. I hope it helps you to plan your trip. It would be great to get a trip report from you if you do it.

Here is the route description of our 800 mile Salmon Basin mountain bike tour loop we did in August 2001:

We left our vehicle in Salmon ID at a commercial campground, rode south a few miles on Hwy 93, took FR21 up Williams Cr, down Panther Cr.*  on FR55 to the Salmon River where we crossed it.  Headed upstream on FR30, past Shoup, then a steep climb up Spring Creek FR38 to the ridge and Montana line.  Continued NW along ridge on FR44*  and down the West Fork of the Bitterroot on FR91 past Painted Rocks Reservoir.  If you want to resupply near Conner, you can continue downhill, otherwise, we turned west and headed back towards Idaho and Nez Perce Pass on FR468.

We continued west across Idaho on the Magruder Corridor (FR468) with the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness to the north and the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness to the south.  This is a beautiful, rugged, remote area, and expect to see maybe only 20 vehicles each day as you travel. When we reached the ranger station at Red River, we detoured up FR234 for some soaking and restaurant food at Red River Hot Springs*.  Inquire locally to make sure it is open.  Back at the ranger station, we continued west on FR22 until it joined ID SR14, where we rode west on pavement toward Grangeville.  Just before Grangeville, we took the Mt Idaho Grade Rd into town, for resupply.

Our original plan was to take FR221 south from Grangeville all the way to Riggins, but we were forced off it and detoured down Slate Creek to Hwy95 because of forest fire activity. After Riggins, we went east along the main Salmon River, turning south up the Seven Fingers Rd, FR 246, bound for Burgdorf Hot Springs*, and on to McCall.  From McCall we took the Lick Creek Rd to the S. Fork of the Salmon, and then headed upstream on FR674/FR474* to Warm Lake (store, restaurants).  We continued east on FR579 (Deadwood River, Deer Creek, Elk Creek, Fir Creek) to Cape Horn Pass, where the road changes to FR198 before joining ID SR21 into Stanley*.  When we got to Stanley, we were running out of time, so we took paved ID SR75 to Challis* and then Hwy 93 back to Salmon.  (We had hoped to ride the dirt from Sunbeam to Challis on FR70, the Custer Motorway, and did this section in the summer of 2009 as part of a more recent trip.)  North of Challis, the Morgan Creek and Panther Creek roads would keep you off of Hwy93.

*The asterisks note a hot springs nearby that we soaked in, some commercial, some wild ones on forest land, check a hot springs guidebook or ask locals – half the fun is discovering these for yourself.  To plan this trip we used Nat. Forest maps and the DeLorme Gazeteer for ID and MT. We encourage other cyclists to try this route or some variation, we found this ride to be truly memorable!

.Jennifer.

Jennifer, Kathy, and Rodger, 
Thank You !!  Thank You !!  Thank You !! 
This is very exciting !   :D
I think it's going to be a great year.
Kathy and Bill