Author Topic: Northern Tier-ish  (Read 5893 times)

Offline destination

Northern Tier-ish
« on: December 28, 2009, 06:11:46 pm »
Goal is to avoid high vehicle exhaust areas.

Northern Tier-ish -Late Spring/Early Summer

Bar Harbor
Brunswick
North Haverhill
Ticonderoga
Fort Erie (I am thinking this is going to be the busiest area?)
Lake Erie Connector

Then either:
Luther to Mackinaw City to Escanaba to Ashland Wis.
or
Luther to Luddington to Ferry to Manitowoc Wis.

Once in Wis. I should be able to connect these two destinations easily.
I still have to study the "Lake Erie connector" in detail as advised by a MIBIKER  (WWW.LMB.org)

Would these be the only maps that I would need?  11, 10, Lake Erie Connector, North Lake.

I have no idea how long this will take me, nor how long I will stay before I go back the same way I came.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:20:36 am by destination »

Offline MIBIKER

Re: Northern Tier-ish
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:56:42 pm »
Here are the mileages you were asking for.    Fort Erie, Ontario ( Buffalo,NY) to Marine, MI about 250 miles

Marine, MI to Luther  360 miles

Luther to Mackinaw City  150 miles

Mackinaw City to Escanaba   150 miles
    The maps you listed are the maps you will need.  As far as Wisconsin goes they have a good set of maps designed for bicycle use.Check the Wisconsin web site  for the State Bicycle Coordinator 800, 872-2753 WWW.michigantrails.org this is the web site to get a map of all the rail trials in the state.  There is a rail trail just east of Luther that goes Cadillac and another trail that goes  from Gaylord to Cheboygan then in to Mackinaw city.  Most of these trails are dirt but can be ridden with a wide tire touring bike ( 700 x 35 or 26 x 1.5).  I am a bicycle mechanic and live in southwest Michigan and I provide tec support to Michigan trails and greenways  bicycle tour in July.  I have been all over Michigan and know the back roads and rail trials that are good for biking.  Good luck with your research. 

Offline MIBIKER

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:19:57 am »
The maps you listed are the maps you will need for your trip.  Here is mileage you asked about. 

250 miles          Fort Eire, Ontario to Marine MI     

360Marine to Luther       

Offline destination

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:02:22 am »
Thank you!

Offline scarcellagv

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:19:33 pm »
If you have any plans to veer off the ACA maps in Wisconsin, see the web site for some very good bicycle maps for Wisconsin.

https://www.bfw.org/store/index.php?storecategory_id=306

I used their "Northern Section" map this past summer when I took a more northerly route from Dalbo, MN to Conover, WI, to shorten my ACA Northern Tier route this past summer.

Gary.

Offline destination

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:19:22 pm »
Gary, Thank you. I did indeed bookmark that resource. Again, Thanks!

Offline jimbo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:22 pm »
Just a note on the Luther to Luddington leg. MIchigan DOT has bicycle maps for the entire state by region. I regret I can't locate the section for Luther to Luddington, but we used that map in 2008. We left Luddington in the early AM; stopped for breakfast and still made it to Luther for lunch so it is not a long leg. BUT.. the map they had showed the roads we used as paved and one stretch was not. That would not be much of an issue, except that back road was soft sand. They were all for the most part void of traffic. Check out our blog for that day at

Offline jimbo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »
Dang..something happened to the text in my last reply. Anyhow....for the 2nd time.

MI DOT has bike maps by region and we used one to do the Luddington-Luther leg in 2008.  It took about  4 hours I think. Longer than it should as one road marked "paved" was soft sand and it was slow and we got lost due to some flooding and closed roads. The Erie Connector route was generally good, though  some roads were w/o shoulders and less than nice drivers.  We did get lost in Bay City. Be sure to stop in Fairview at the Catamore Zangalotti Flashback Cafe and have "martian nuts". Brown City..home to the first RV is a good stop as well. The ferry ride on the "Badger" is fun..be sure to play Bingo for that ultimate culture experience.
Read days 50-53 at our blog at www.fllt.org/blog/ and link to Michigan under categories.  Great time of year to plan a trip. We finished our coast-coast trip in S. Maine at Wells.
Enjoy yours.

Offline destination

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 06:50:54 pm »
Thank you. Just got my maps today. Studying trip and layout.

Offline destination

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 11:09:48 am »
Wow, Jimbo... Just had a chance to peak at your website. There is a lot there to take in! I am a little bit overwhelmed at this point due to too many irons in the fire. I will get back to your website by and by. One problem I do have to over come is people concerned about being safe.

Offline rvklassen

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:15 am »
Goal is to avoid high vehicle exhaust areas.

Northern Tier-ish -Late Spring/Early Summer
Ticonderoga
Fort Erie (I am thinking this is going to be the busiest area?)
Lake Erie Connector
As far as the Fort Erie part - there are three places you can cross the Niagara river - the bridges' names are Lewiston/Queenston Heights, Rainbow, and Peace, in order from north to south.  I don't know what the ACA map suggested as I don't have one.  However, I can tell you that you are best avoiding Niagara Falls NY and Buffalo.  The route up the river on the Canadian side is quite picturesque, although quite winding.  The only serious urbanization is the city of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and if you stick to the river you will go through the nice, as opposed to nasty, tourist section (a few blocks away from the river it is all touristy stores and traffic but right by the river it is parkland with one main road).  If I had to choose a bridge to cross it would be the Rainbow bridge, but the trouble is Niagara Falls NY has been economically depressed for too many years and the roads are in very bad condition.

To really avoid exhaust you could take rural routes from Queenston Heights, and head well west of Niagara Falls, but then you'd miss the falls themselves, and they are really worth a look-see.

I live in Webster NY, which you will find a little west of Wolcott NY on your map.  If you should choose to go off route as you pass through the general vicinity of Rochester, I can help with specifics.

Offline jimbo

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
We were heading east but regarding the Buffalo area we used the Peace Bridge and found our way somewhat quickly thru the maze after the Bridge to the Niagara River Trail. True, though the roads in one stretch of a few miles were crappy, but it did not last long. We used ACA map and the Erie Canal map and then found the painted signs of the NY Parks Buffalo to Albany bike route to guide us when we were confused. The River Trail was fun. I don't know if there is a perfect route.

Offline destination

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 01:08:37 pm »
Thank you Rvklassen and Jimbo Details like that are important to me.

Offline destination

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 02:23:00 pm »
Thank you for all of your help! I have printed all this information out and am keeping it for when I will be able to make this trip. At this point in time I am going to take baby steps towards my goal.  Lord Willing... I will be able to climb this mountain...one step at a time.

Have not seen dr. yet. Thinking at this point: Gallbladder...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:40:11 am by destination »

Offline destination

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:26 am »
update:If I am ever to travel cross country via bike, I will have to plan to take a train for most of the first trip

Amtrak from Portland Me. to Boston

Amtrak from Boston to *Niagara Falls NY

Canadian train from Niagara Falls Canada to Sarnia Canada.

Sarnia Canada to Port Huron MI

Port Huron Mi. To Luddington MI

Ferrying across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc WI.

Cycling from Manitowoc to family. (under 100 miles)

This trip may not be possible due to connections. But, I am hoping that it will be possible.
I want to make this trip spring or fall, not counting this spring because I am not
physically ready. I hope to add longer portions of biking during each pass of the trip.
Perhaps I will never be able to "cycle" the whole thing in its entirety.

**Have not looked into renting a bike in Manitowoc as of yet.

*Not sure on details yet.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:48:30 am by destination »