Author Topic: Biker vs World  (Read 2303 times)

Offline destination

Biker vs World
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:42:40 am »
This might have already been covered before, or it maybe a dumb question, but, if you were in a vehicle as a passenger or you were the driver and you came upon a bicyclist that was having a difficult time. If you wanted to help them out. What is the best way to go about approaching someone in need? Sounds like the answer would be obvious...but, in today's world...one never knows. How would you as a biker want to be approached? Thank you in advance.

Offline DaveB

Re: Biker vs World
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:45:44 am »
I would slow down or stop beside them, open the car window and ask if they need assistance. The next step is up to them.

Offline nancysv

• Tourist
  • Biking from Alaska to Argentina with our kids!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:17:38 pm »
Pull over and get out - ask if they need help.  Or if you have a bottle of water or Gatorade, hand it to them and offer help.
Read about our adventures as a biking family!  We're now cycling from Alaska to Argentina www.familyonbikes.org

Offline driftlessregion

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:18:10 pm »
So as not to assume that any cyclist is unable to do their own repairs I always ask if they have everything they need rather than "do you need help"?"

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:21:46 am »
It depends on the situation.  If it is a loaded biker, I always pull over just to say "Hi" even if they are riding along.  I usually try to give them a few bucks to buy them a beverage for a fellow tourist.  Usually, a biker is a tad nervous but once they realize I am not a threat, they are at ease.  If it is a racer-type, I slow down to see if they look like they know what they are doing, i.e. are actively repairing a flat.  Like others, I ask if they need anything and is everything OK.

I have passed loaded riders while I was on a car vacation, pulled over and offered them water in Utah in the summer.  This was gratefully accepted.

Absolute minimum for all riders is a friendly toot of the horn and a wave.

Once I had a older guy in an old pickup with a confederate flag in the rear window slammed on the brake right after passing me wide and I gave a wave.  Scared the heck out of me initially but the guy just wanted to say Hi.

Another good question!
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 04:18:32 pm »
For me personally, skip the friendly toot of the horn. If you must, don't do it until you have already passed me.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:09 pm »
John Nelson is right--don't honk the horn, especially if you are passing me.  It is a distraction and can cause trouble if there are other things going on in the biker's world at that moment, and there often are.  Honking while passing can also make the biker swerve and get the tire stuck in the dirt, sand, etc on the roadside, causing an accident.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »
For me personally, skip the friendly toot of the horn. If you must, don't do it until you have already passed me.

I totally understand.  When this is done it is a wave out the window; light toot as opposed to a honk/blast and always after I have passed so that I can see in rear view window.  I guess I just assumed everyone who does do it in a friendly manner does it after passing.  And no I don't do it if they are riding on a busy highway with no shoulder.  Sorry for the confusion.

Now I must admit I really want to lay it on the horn at times when I get behind a pack of racers heading down a major two lane road 3-4 abreast and will not pull single file and traffic is backed up 4+ cars deep.  To me, that is unsafe, rude, and perpetuates motorists bad attitudes toward all cyclists.
Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!
John

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:30:59 pm »

Now I must admit I really want to lay it on the horn at times when I get behind a pack of racers heading down a major two lane road 3-4 abreast and will not pull single file and traffic is backed up 4+ cars deep.  To me, that is unsafe, rude, and perpetuates motorists bad attitudes toward all cyclists.
I agree.  What jerks.  Some riders have to get a clue if we want the driving public to treat us all with respect.
May the wind be at your back!