Author Topic: Forum search suggestion for admin.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline mucknort

Forum search suggestion for admin.
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:58:24 am »
At this time these are the only 2 options available under "options" on the "Search" page:

-Show results as messages
-Search in topic subjects only

To make searching easier (as I've seen on other forum's search boards) may I suggest adding a
 "Search in topic titles only" option.

Thank you, Erik

Offline jsieber

Re: Forum search suggestion for admin.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:36:48 am »
Hi Erik,
I believe that what you are looking for is the existing option titled "Search in topic subjects only". This searches the subject, what SMF forums labels the post title, for the keywords entered. Hope that this helps.
-John

Offline mucknort

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »
Hi John,
"Search in topic subjects" is not the same as what "Search in topic titles" would be. For example, today a poster asked "What is the best touring bike?". I went to search and typed in the words, "best touring bike", and clicked on the "Search in topic subjects" option. The result of the search presented every topic that had the words best, touring, and bikes, whether these words were in the title or in the subject. So that included a whole bunch of topics where someone said something like:

"Next week I'm going touring around the region on my bike. I'm sure I'll have the best time!"

A search option of "Search in topic titles" would only turn up results that had those 3 words in the title.

Here's an example of the search page from another bicycle forum:

Search by Keyword
Keyword(s):

Option: Search entire posts
           Search titles

Thanks for replying, anyway.
Erik
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:59:49 pm by mucknort »

Offline jsieber

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:06:52 pm »
Hi John,
"Search in topic subjects" is not the same as what "Search in topic titles" would be. For example, today a poster asked "What is the best touring bike?". I went to search and typed in the words, "best touring bike", and clicked on the "Search in topic subjects" option. The result of the search presented every topic that had the words best, touring, and bikes, whether these words were in the title or in the subject. So that included a whole bunch of topics where someone said something like:

"Next week I'm going touring around the region on my bike. I'm sure I'll have the best time!"

A search option of "Search in topic titles" would only turn up results that had those 3 words in the title.

Thanks for replying, anyway.
Erik

Hi Erik,
I just performed the same test, and my results were much different. I placed "best touring bike" in the search box, selected "Match all words" and then clicked the checkbox for "Search in topic subjects only". My results that were returned consisted of the following three threads:
- The Best Touring Bikes/Frames (and other parts, as well)
- Best touring bike buy
- Best touring bike under $1,000

Using the "Match any words" operator returns many more results, but they still all have at least one occurrence of one of the words in my search phrase in the title, or as SMF forums call it, subject.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:40:52 pm by jsieber »

Offline mucknort

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:29:04 pm »
okay thanks, I'll give it a shot.