Author Topic: New Sierra Cascade Route  (Read 3263 times)

Offline kathy

New Sierra Cascade Route
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:23:37 pm »
So exciting to see the over view map!  Anyone know how much climbing?  The GDR has something like 200,000 ft of climbing.  Is this similar?  Did they solve the problems of dangerous logging truck areas?  I was actually hoping some dirt workaround would have been found for that.  Any more info?  Thanks kathy

Offline JimF

Re: New Sierra Cascade Route
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:40:41 am »
Kathy:
Until ACA publishes the maps, route information is scant. If you run a search on recent forum messages, you'll see references to Bil Paul's out-of-print book on part of this route. A riding buddy of mine asked his local library to find a copy and they did. The book has detailed elevation data on what is likely to be a good portion of the route.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:41 am »
So exciting to see the over view map!  Anyone know how much climbing?  The GDR has something like 200,000 ft of climbing.  Is this similar?  Did they solve the problems of dangerous logging truck areas?  I was actually hoping some dirt workaround would have been found for that.  Any more info?  Thanks kathy
I too was excited to see the map and can't wait for more details and the actual maps.

I don't know if the Bil Paul book gives a total or not, but I will try to remember to check tonight.  It does have elevation profiles for each section and they don't look horrible.  Plenty of climbing as expected, but it looks like long not so steep grades typical of roads in the West.  That is not based on personal experience with this route, but only from a bit of perusing the book, so don't take it as reliable info.  That said comparing the profiles with those on the TA (which I did ride) makes me think the route is pretty do-able.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:07:47 pm »
I checked as promised and...  I couldn't find a number for total elevation gain anywhere in any of the info that I have.

Offline MrBent

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:06 am »
Kathy:  We won't know exactly for a while, but from the looks of it, the route will follow Hwy 89 in northern CA, which I've warned about in the past.  The section south of McCloud to a bit south of Quincy seemed to be the worst.  Sundays and holidays have reduced truck traffic, so that can help.  If you get a AAA California map and study that area, it looks like one could piece together a very circuitous, sometimes dirt, workaround that you seek.  Some of this would be on logging roads for sure, but those are less spooky/dangerous in my experience because the truckers are going pretty slow and there's virtually no other traffic to deal with.  And, of course, on the main roads (89) you're seeing all the trucks funneled to that route.  This work around would  be true adventure cycling--few supply areas, tons of climbing, unknown water supplies (carry a filter)--in short, gotta do it!

When I have some time, I'll go to a mapping sight and see if I can put together what I've been thinking about.  The route IS possible, but it will involve a good deal more mileage/climbing.  The good news is that the country is very beautiful, and leaving 89 would be a dream.

Let's see the final maps!

Scott

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:54 am »
I have a book called *The Pacific Crest Bicycle Trail*,  by Bil Paul, Bittersweet Publishing Company, Liverpool, California.  It looks like a good option to me.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:52 am »
Good book, but...  It was written 20 years ago, so I would be careful about relying on the info being up to date.

Also it should be noted that Bil Paul (the author of the book) was the person who did the legwork for AC for this route.  Check out:
http://www.bikecal.com/bloom/columns-detail.asp?bRecNo=211
for more details about that.

Also my tour journal for my upcoming trip has some more info and a few links that just might be useful.  That can be found at:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/MountainMan

Offline MrBent

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »
Working with Ridewithgps.com, I put together the route below.  I have only ridden a couple of minor sections, but based on my reading of the maps, it will go.  Some of this is mighty remote, and there will be some mandatory dirt/gravel riding, but these should be on reasonably maintained forest service roads.  This route is longer, no doubt, but it avoids the nasty section of 89.  You miss Mt. Lassen, which is unfortunate, but you'll be rewarded with spectacular solitude.  This is full-on adventure riding in places, so bring a water filter for lakes, ponds and streams.  Supply points look to be pretty far apart at times.  Contacting local ranger stations for conditions would be prudent.  Now I can't wait to ride all of it myself!  Probably have to wait until next year, however.

I picked South Lake as a starting point for my own purposes because we can drop off a rental car there to start the ride.  Clearly, you can hook up with Adventure Cycling's new route at a number of points.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/34336

Ride!

Scott

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »
Scott, I am curious how bad the "nasty section of 89" actually is compared to say other Adventure Cycling routes.  I suspect I am more traffic tolerant than most, but in general I had no big complaints with AC's choices on the Trans America and if anything, I second guessed the places where they went out of the way to get off the beaten path.

I know that on the TA I didn't mind most of the sections that folks complained about traffic wise.  I think maybe we were lucky to ride the worst sections on days of the week and times of day that were better than average, but I really didn't mind the sections with logging or coal trucks.  I guess that the rental motor homes concerned me more than anything, but I still found Yellowstone's traffic in the acceptable range.

Can you comment on what I might expect on 89 compared to roads on the TA?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:24:35 pm by staehpj1 »

Offline dubovsmj

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 07:30:19 pm »
err...when i click the link it's just a grey box?  should a map be there?  or is it just my computer (macbook)?

Offline MrBent

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:08 pm »
Hi, Staehpj1:  Personally, my wife and I found it horrific--nasty, angry jake-braking logging trucks with insane drivers convinced we had no right to be on the road.  Blaring horns, shaking their fists, even contacting a highway patrol office who tracked us down!  It was so bad we took the very nice rangers' offer at Burney Falls State Park to give us a ride to McCloud where the road widened.   It totally, totally sucked.  The road was narrow and tight in places, bad line of sight, no shoulder.  Frankly, I was scared for my life.  I've ridden in all kinds of conditions, and I love the country out there, but when the logging trucks are out, the cycling is just flat out nasty.  Also, it's a big run for partiers headed to Reno.  We vowed to never ride it again.  The national park is fine and a great piece of riding, but getting out of the Lake Almanor area during a weekend rush?  Also horrific, tons of boat-towing angry a-holes with no understanding of what it means to be on a bike.  I'm sorry, but parts of this route, if it's routed  like it seems it must be, are not going to be very good touring.

Dubo:  Could be your computer.   The link works fine on my computer.

Cheers,

Scott

Offline am61

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 11:12:00 am »
dubovsmj,
You have to make an account with them before you can see the map.  That is a bummer about the logging trucks.  I live and ride a couple hundred miles west of that area and the logging trucks are awesome.  They're the most courteous people on the road.  I can't wait to do this route, or at least part of it.  I can't start until early November next fall. 

-Aaron

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:29:59 pm »
dubovsmj,
You have to make an account with them before you can see the map.  That is a bummer about the logging trucks.  I live and ride a couple hundred miles west of that area and the logging trucks are awesome.  They're the most courteous people on the road.  I can't wait to do this route, or at least part of it.  I can't start until early November next fall. 

-Aaron

I have generally found logging truck drivers to be competent professionals on the roads I have shared with them and have always much preferred them to rental motor homes.  Some times logging trucks passed close, but at least I trusted them to know how close they were passing.  Rental motor homes on the other hand were often driven by folks without a clue.  That said I have not ridden the road in question and for what it is worth have heard widely varying opinions on it.  The have ranged from MrBent's "horrific" to a friends who grew up there's comment that "Its OK, but yeah there are logging trucks".   Our plan thus far is to follow the route unless we get there and find it unbearable.

Offline MrBent

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 09:07:19 am »
I hope our experience was atypical.  On the plus side, the area was quite beautiful.  On the two occasions we rode in this area, we had really good riding on Sundays.  Paradoxically, one holiday weekend turned out to be better than a week day on a later trip.  Lots of vacation drivers, but they were all pretty mellow and very careful--but no logging trucks.  The ride over Mt. Lassen and around Lake Almanor was spectacular, and the ride from Yreka down to Mt. Shasta is a dream--nice quiet back roads with outrageous views of the Mt.  You get a good look at the glaciers as you ride south.

I look forward to reading what others have to say about their experiences!

Scott

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:31:09 pm »
I look forward to reading what others have to say about their experiences!
Yeah me too.  I guess we will find out how it goes in June.