Author Topic: Puerto Rico  (Read 1188 times)

Offline livinday2day02

Puerto Rico
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:44:19 pm »
I'm planning doing a bike tour in Puerto Rico from march 27-April 6....I'm going to be going with my girlfriend who is new to touring.  I have heard about the bioluminescent bays and surfing beaches...The temperatures, distances and terrain look good but you can never know for sure.  I hoping to hear about experiences people have had touring the island.  Highlights, things to look out for, and just general impressions of the island culture. I really want to hook my gf on touring so this first tour needs to go well. 

Contemplating in NYC
All you are is what you do.....All you leave is your legacy....I want mine to be a smile.

Offline Tourista829

Re: Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:48 am »
I have been to Puerto Rico several times and it is beautiful. I have never bicycle toured there, sorry I can't help. However, know where you are going, especially in San Juan, I have friends who say there are some bad area, ie crime. So be careful.

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:01 pm »
I'm planning doing a bike tour in Puerto Rico from march 27-April 6....I'm going to be going with my girlfriend who is new to touring.  I have heard about the bioluminescent bays and surfing beaches...The temperatures, distances and terrain look good but you can never know for sure.  I hoping to hear about experiences people have had touring the island.  Highlights, things to look out for, and just general impressions of the island culture. I really want to hook my gf on touring so this first tour needs to go well. 

Contemplating in NYC

I lived in Puerto Rico for three years, but it was a long time ago when PR2 was the big road.  If you want to see the island you'll have to get out of San Juan.  Puerto Ricans are very considerate of cyclists.

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:40:19 pm »

Contemplating in NYC

You don't have to travel to Puerto Rico to see bioluminescent bays, it's just more pronounced there.  A motorboat leaves a path, a bucket of water thrown into the bay will glow for a few seconds.  But on a moonless night you can see the same thing off both coasts of the US.  Watch the surf.