Author Topic: Is it possible to be tracked via any type of GPS system...?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline fatguyonabike

Is it possible to be tracked via any type of GPS system...?
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »
I'll be starting a U.S. perimeter tour on the 8th of next month and I'm interested if anyone knows if it is possible to be tracked while out there. I'd like my family to see where I'm at at any given time.  I have that option with my cell phone but I'm not sure if ANYONE can log in and see where I'm at... which is what I'd like.

The Pedouins are able to be tracked on their tour but I've yet to figure out how.... pedouin.org.

Thank you,
Steve.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:56:22 pm by fatguyonabike »

Offline John Nelson

Re: Is it possible to be tracked via any type of GPS system...?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:05:34 pm »
Are you familiar with the SPOT? You can set it to automatically report your position every 10 minutes and your family can follow you on a map via the web. It requires a initial purchase and an annual subscription. A number of other cycle tourists have used it. It's pretty cool in my opinion.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/
http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=5721.0

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:08:38 pm by John Nelson »

Offline fatguyonabike

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:45:38 pm »
Thank you very much.  It is sold at a Big 5 around the corner from me so I'll check it out tomorrow.

I am trying to figure out what APRS is as well.  It's what the Pedouins are using but I haven't a clue as to what it is or how it works.

Thanks again!

Steve.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:31:08 am »
It's a bit technical, but Wikipedia explains it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:06 pm »
Thank you very much.  It is sold at a Big 5 around the corner from me so I'll check it out tomorrow.

I am trying to figure out what APRS is as well.  It's what the Pedouins are using but I haven't a clue as to what it is or how it works.

Thanks again!

Steve.

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:22:46 am »
Thank you very much.  It is sold at a Big 5 around the corner from me so I'll check it out tomorrow.I am trying to figure out what APRS is as well.  It's what the Pedouins are using but I haven't a clue as to what it is or how it works.Thanks again!Steve.

Curmudgeon weighing in: The device and a one-year service package is about $250. But do you and your family really need that kind of "here I am every ten minutes" beacon for your entire journey? Your cellphone might provide similar functions without the sub-meter accuracy and blanket coverage.

Rhetorical: What ever happened to just going on vacation?

david boise ID
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline paddleboy17

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:58 pm »
I just report in to my family every night with a cell phone call.  It seems adequate for out needs.  My wife does not need to track me in real time.
Danno

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »
SPOT can provide some comfort to the family of those travelling in areas with no cell phone coveage, which can persist for days or even weeks with some carriers even in the USA. The automatic 10-minute reporting is an added cost option. The normal operation is to report in only when you push the button. And if you shop around, you can find the device plus a year of service for far less than the MSRP price of $250.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:51:24 pm by John Nelson »