Author Topic: southern tier map for friends and family  (Read 2947 times)

Offline lindy

southern tier map for friends and family
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »
I've had a couple of requests for a map of the southern tier route - one that folks back home can hang on the wall and plot my progress as I ride.  Is there something like that already created? 

Offline tonythomson

Re: southern tier map for friends and family
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37:01 pm »
My family put a map of USA on one of my nephews bedroom walls and I put markers onto Google Earth.  I don't  know of ACA doing one but would be interested if they did as doing the Atlantic coast next month.

good luck hope you enjoyed ST as much as I did.

Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »
I've had a couple of requests for a map of the southern tier route - one that folks back home can hang on the wall and plot my progress as I ride.  Is there something like that already created? 
Check out http://tsteven4.qwestoffice.net/ for one option.

If someone is willing to do it a big paper map of the US is pretty cool way to do this and it makes a great keepsake after the trip.  Mine from the TA is on my wall next to my computer and I have been adding trips as i take then.  It is really cool to look at the map and reminisce.  It isn't too hard to look up the town names on google maps to figure out roughly where to mark the stops.  I use little sticky dots in various colors a different color for each tour.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »
I just went to the map store and bought a wall map and marked the route. If you want a map large enough to show all the small roads and towns, you'll need to get a 4-foot by 6-foot map that costs about $35. But you can also buy a smaller map (about 2-foot by 3-foot) for under $10. It won't show all the roads and towns, but you can draw them in. Be sure to get just a plain-paper map (not laminated) so that you can write on it.

I would agree that this would make a good thing for ACA to sell, a wall map with the major routes already marked on it. I'd buy it.

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:55:10 pm »

If you got your amateur radio license before you left you could equip your bike with APRS and your family could log on their computer and follow your progress in real time.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:49 pm »
If you got your amateur radio license before you left you could equip your bike with APRS and your family could log on their computer and follow your progress in real time.
Or maybe go with the Spot device.  Another thing to carry and more expensive than I will go for due to the subscription cost, but still pretty cool.  http://www.findmespot.com

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:17:56 am »
get a 4-foot by 6-foot map that costs about $35.

Can you give us a clue which stores to find large maps like this please.  And yes would be agreat addition to ACA's store.  Hint hint  ;D

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:25 am »
Though it sounds like this might not be detailed enough on it's own for following you on your ride, you could start with the network map we have available as a pdf (at no cost!) on the Routes & Mapping page.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/index.cfm

Click on Map of All ACA Routes, first line after Adventure Cycling Maps in the upper right of the page.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Though it sounds like this might not be detailed enough on it's own for following you on your ride, you could start with the network map we have available as a pdf (at no cost!) on the Routes & Mapping page.

Click on Map of All ACA Routes, first line after Adventure Cycling Maps in the upper right of the page.

.Jennifer.
For what it is worth that scales up nicely if you have access to a large plotter or know someone who does.  As Jennifer says the detail isn't there wrt smaller towns and other features, but it is a very nice looking map.  Kinkos could print you one 48" x 36" or whatever for probably under $50.

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:35 am »
Yes the ACA version is good if you keep to their routes but I like to make side trips or connectors so a more detailed map would be good.

Thanks anyway.
Tony

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:34 am »
get a 4-foot by 6-foot map that costs about $35.

Can you give us a clue which stores to find large maps like this please.  And yes would be agreat addition to ACA's store.  Hint hint  ;D
I happen to live in a town with a dedicated map store. It sells nothing but maps. They have a whole department for wall maps.

There are also a number of on-line vendors of wall maps. Google "wall maps".

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:36 am »
Yes the ACA version is good if you keep to their routes but I like to make side trips or connectors so a more detailed map would be good.

Thanks anyway.
Tony
Most wall maps that show the entire us don't show too much detail, so in any case you will be doing a bit of guessing at the exact point to put the dot or stick a pin.  That said some of the wall maps do show a lot more towns than the AC overview map.

OTOH since the OP was specifically referring to the ST the AC map sounds perfect to me.

Offline lindy

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:39 pm »
Thanks Jennifer.  This might work...and you might have some buyers if it was offered for sale. 

I've been working on the Great Divide Route for years.  It would be fun to plot what I've accomplished so far.

Lindy

.Jennifer.