Poll

Anyone know anything about them?

Are they any good?
0 (0%)
The best makes
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Folding Bikes  (Read 2805 times)

Offline tonythomson

Folding Bikes
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:51:49 pm »
I know not probably something us tourers/serious riders might own up to knowing anything about.

Well I want to buy a couple to keep on my boat as we often moor up quite a long way from any shops etc. And I thought if they folded then they would not take up valuable space.  Does anyone know of reasonable quality bikes they would recommend.

Thanks

Sorry don't know why this turned into a poll  ???
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:53:26 pm by tonythomson »
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline mucknort

Re: Folding Bikes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:05:25 pm »

Offline scott.laughlin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »
I know not probably something us tourers/serious riders might own up to knowing anything about.

Well I want to buy a couple to keep on my boat as we often moor up quite a long way from any shops etc. And I thought if they folded then they would not take up valuable space.  Does anyone know of reasonable quality bikes they would recommend.

Thanks

Sorry don't know why this turned into a poll  ???

How well a bike holds up to salt water is something to consider.  You might read this short paragraph.
http://store.bikefriday.com/pipermail/yak/2007-December/010521.html

Offline bogiesan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:44 am »
Well I want to buy a couple to keep on my boat as we often moor up quite a long way from any shops etc. And I thought if they folded then they would not take up valuable space.  Does anyone know of reasonable quality bikes they would recommend. ThanksSorry don't know why this turned into a poll  ???

You're not looking for quality or durability, then? You don't need to spend the money on a Friday but here's an article anyway:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=3246

david boise ID
I play go. I use Macintosh. Of course I ride a recumbent

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
I know this is insane, but this site has almost every folding bike and then some.

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:30:15 pm »
www.foldingcyclist.com/folding-bike-manufacturer-directory.html is a great site. If you are storing it on your boat and riding short distances I would recommend a Brampton 16" wheel. I used a folding bike, on my airplane, a 16" wheel would have fit perfect. It sure beats a 5 mile walk into town. If 20" isn't too big the Dahon Mariner is a good, reasonably priced choice. It's aluminium design and special components resistant to salt water corrosion, works well on boats ;)

Offline Galloper

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 05:48:05 am »
Depends how neat you want it to fold.   Something like the Dahon Cadenza is quite good but doesn't fold too small.

The best is a Brompton.   I've had mine about a year and am always surprised at how versatile it is.   It folds up into quite a small package, it's robust and well made and handles everything including some quite bumpy cycle paths.   It takes about half a mile to get used to the steering which initially feels very twitchy but once you're used to it it's fine.

Being a small wheeler, they accelerate very well and there are plenty of options to choose from.   Evans Cycles stock them and if you're a CTC member you'll get discount.   The only thing I don't like is that tor the front bag, you need a special mount which is supplied separately. 

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:33:22 am »
Thanks guys, I think that I'm erring towards A Brompton
Tony

Offline Galloper

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 07:33:59 am »
Don't forget the tweed plus fours  :)

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
Don't forget the tweed plus fours

I say old boy I'm English and of course i would never been seen on my bike without them.  None of this woosey Lycra for me.
Toodle pip.

Offline mucknort

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »
Thanks guys, I think that I'm erring towards A Brompton
Tony
Oh, well, why didn't you say you were willing to pay the big bucks:
http://www.nycewheels.com/brompton-folding-bike-m6r-plus.html

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:42:01 pm »

Ahem that is crazy prices -  a local bike shop here has them for ¬£400 about $600 ( ¬£ dropping so fast who knows these days) unless I've made a mistake - which is more than possible  :o

Offline mucknort

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »

Ahem that is crazy prices -  a local bike shop here has them for ¬£400 about $600 ( ¬£ dropping so fast who knows these days) unless I've made a mistake - which is more than possible  :o
Well, you haven't filled out your location in your profile, and since this website is based in the U.S., I made the assumption you were in the States. I'm sure you can get a better price on a Brompton across the pond.