Author Topic: Will I need reservations Atlantic Coast  (Read 1039 times)

Offline tonythomson

Will I need reservations Atlantic Coast
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:45 am »
Hi leaving Orlando 20 April heading up Atlantic Coast to Richmond Va expect to take max 3 weeks and then picking up TA. Do you think I need to book in advance camping / motels at this time of the year. Are there any major public holidays during this time?

Thanks Tony
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline indyfabz

Re: Will I need reservations Atlantic Coast
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:06:43 pm »
As to holidays. Memorial Day long weekend weekend is May 29-31 so you should be good coming up to Richmond.  But keep in mind that Memorial Day weekend is the seen as the unofficial start of the summer season, at least here in the east.  Depending on where you find yourself that weekend, places may be crowded.  And you very well may experience significantly heavier traffic, especially in areas with popular recreation destinations.

I remember coming down the east coast and finding myself in Mass. during Labor Day weekend--the unofficial end of summer.  I was lucky to find a hotel room that Sunday in a nowhere town.  (The nearby campground was booked solid.)  The next day I did get a camp site and just sat down that day to wait for the heavy Monday going home traffic to run its course.

You might want to consider reservations and taking a day or two off during Memorial Day weekend.  Research or ask the locals if there is a nearby town that is having a parade and/or celebration that weekend.  It could be fun.

Offline bktourer1

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:10:40 pm »
Look into warmshowers.org

Offline litespeed

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:17:48 pm »
I've gone up the Atlantic coast four times. The only problem I had was state parks being full on the weekends, mainly in Florida.