Author Topic: Amtrak & carry on luggage  (Read 2509 times)

Offline tonythomson

Amtrak & carry on luggage
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:27:16 am »
Hi does anyone know what the rules are regarding carry on luggage on Amtak.

Planning to bring bike back from Washington, overnight to Orlando.  I know about boxing the bike but can't find out about carry on luggage and how many pieces are allowed.

My idea is to buy a suit case to put all the numerous panniers, tent etc in, is this necessary?
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline briwasson

Re: Amtrak & carry on luggage
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »
I once carried on my bike in an S&S backpack case as well as my rear panniers connected together. This was from Washington Union Station to Philadelphia. I wore the S&S case as a backpack as I walked onto the train in order to make it look like no big deal, but man, was it heavy!

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »
From the web site:

"Folding bicycles may be brought aboard certain passenger cars as carry-on baggage. Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.

"You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks."

Don't know how small an S&S coupled bike gets down to, but if it fits in a case that does not exceed the max. measurements for general carry-on baggage 28x22x14), what's the rationale for excluding them?  Wait.  It's Amtrak.  Never mind.

BTW...I probably ride Amtrak more than most.  I have seen a lot of carry-one bags that exceed the max. size.

Offline geegee

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »
Don't bother with a suitcase or duffel bag for your panniers. Last time I took Amtrak I just strapped/bungied my panniers and tent bag together and took it as carry on. You could also stuff them in a large plastic bag, like a heavy-duty garbage bag (this is what I do when I take the plane so that straps and bits don't get caught in the conveyor belts) or bind them together with cling wrap.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:59:00 pm »
Don't bother with a suitcase or duffel bag for your panniers. Last time I took Amtrak I just strapped/bungied my panniers and tent bag together and took it as carry on. You could also stuff them in a large plastic bag, like a heavy-duty garbage bag (this is what I do when I take the plane so that straps and bits don't get caught in the conveyor belts) or bind them together with cling wrap.
Yeah I did the same my last tour.  I took a couple extra straps and it worked well.

Offline velo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:46 am »
The strapping of bags together works well. I carry two cam straps with metal buckles. One lashes the front bags together, the other does the rear and my handlebar bag comes with me. Works great.