Poll

Pacific Coast or new Sierra - Cascades route?

Coast
5 (71.4%)
Mtns
0 (0%)
Mix -  but how?
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Pacific Coast or new Sierra - Cascades route?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline tdelhagen

Pacific Coast or new Sierra - Cascades route?
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:26:32 pm »
Hello all -

I'm new to the biking community and in the midst of planning my first tour.  I'm debating whether to complete the northern portions of the Pacific Coast or new Sierra - Cascades route?  I want to start in either Seattle or Vancouver and end in San Fran.  I'm looking for the most scenic route and know that I want to see the Oregon coast and the redwoods in northern cali.  On the flip side I'm in love the mountains out that way.  As a trail runner by trade, I'd love to be in the mtns at least some of the trip. 

Anyone have suggestions as how to mix these two routes?  I have three weeks (last week in July and first two weeks of August).  Any other advice to a novice would be much appreciated. 

Offline staehpj1

Re: Pacific Coast or new Sierra - Cascades route?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »
Given three weeks, a start in Seattle or Vancouver, and a finish in San Francisco I'd say just stick with the coast and save the Sierra Cascades for next year.

On the other hand...
Maybe consider taking the Sierra Cascades route to Sisters and then the TA to Florence and follow the coast south from there.  Three weeks is probably a bit tight on the time for that though.  Check the mileage and decide if that can work for you.

Offline cgarch

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »
On the other hand...
Maybe consider taking the Sierra Cascades route to Sisters and then the TA to Florence and follow the coast south from there.  Three weeks is probably a bit tight on the time for that though.  Check the mileage and decide if that can work for you.

I'd support that suggestion and agree timing might be a little tight for three weeks. Given late July, inland temps can be quite hot - that might also be something to consider.

Offline cgarch

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:14:11 am »
One other consideration, since you mention you are new to touring. The coast route is a dream for a first tour. Seems like every SP has an HB site, they aren't that far apart, and services are relatively easy to obtain. I'm not sure that there are campgrounds/state parks in the volume and spacing you see on the coast in the inland areas. When you look at other routes, you can see how sweet the coast route is. Highly recommended for a first tour. And you won't be short of company.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:10:25 am »
One other consideration, since you mention you are new to touring. The coast route is a dream for a first tour. Seems like every SP has an HB site, they aren't that far apart, and services are relatively easy to obtain. I'm not sure that there are campgrounds/state parks in the volume and spacing you see on the coast in the inland areas. When you look at other routes, you can see how sweet the coast route is. Highly recommended for a first tour. And you won't be short of company.
I agree with all that, but on the other hand...  The inland route probably has more rural small town stops where finding a place to camp in a town park, church yard, or someone's yard is usually easy.

Offline sam21fire

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:02 pm »
Everyone has some very good points for both routes, but I have to repeat the temperature factor for the inland route; I've been through that area in the summer and some parts of that route (especially South of Yosemite) aren't "very warm"...they're HOT!  Expect daily temps in the 90-100F range and very low relative humidity.  South of Bakersfield/Lake I you won't see daytime temps below 100F (normally run 100-105F, "cooling" to 90F at night) until you climb up to Big Bear.  South of Julian area you'll get back into the "hotter'n hell" range again.  New tourist? Go for the coast.  Experienced touring in the desert? Go inland.

just my 2 cents...

Sam

Offline MrBent

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:54 pm »
Three weeks?  A bit tight.  I think Steph is right and stick with the coast, especially for that time of year.  Brace yourself for astronomical traffic on the Oregon stretch, but the towns and camping are great.  The Avenue of the Giants is not to be missed. Actually, my wife and I will be riding from Eureka to Santa Barbara starting in July.  If you pass a couple of folks riding trikes and towing a friendly hound, that's us!

Scott

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 02:34:14 pm »
I advise the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route. I did it from Ana Cortes, Washington state to San Diego, California. I loved it. It is great. It is the great American bicycle route. Hilly, yes, but also challenging and strengthening. Plenty of food all the way. Cities to visit. Cheap hiker/biker sites. Hostels. The PCBR is where it's at. However, the Cascades is a possibility too.