Author Topic: Front Pannier ground clearance  (Read 1850 times)

Offline fuzzyrider

Front Pannier ground clearance
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »
I just mounted an old set of panniers and an old front rack to my Trek-520.  There is only 3 inches of clearance from the ground to the bottom of the panniers.  This looks awfully low.  Is this normal?

Thanks,

Don

Fuzzy

Offline dwnptrl_777

Re: Front Pannier ground clearance
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:57:42 am »
3" seems a bit low to me.

Online staehpj1

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:57:31 am »
+1 That sounds like a bad setup.  You must have really big panniers and/or a very low rack.

Offline rvklassen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:09 am »
I just took a look at a photo from our trip last summer, and the bottom of the front pannier was well below the midpoint between the front axle and the ground, on 26" wheels.  Had it been at the midpoint that would be 13".  Just by eye, I'd say it is maybe 6" from the ground.  Might be as little as 4-5", hard to tell from the photo.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:43:57 pm »
I just looked at a photo of my bike. It looks like I have about 6". The main problem with too low is that it may hit the ground on a tight corner, but that would have to be very tight indeed. You could take it for a spin and try. Another problem might be that the pannier would hit a curb or parking stop that you rode too close to.

Offline velo

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »
That sounds low. On my Kona Sutra with an Axiom rack and Ortlieb Front Rollers the bags hang about 3 inches blow the axel. Lots of clearance. What is your set up? What size wheels do you have?

Offline fuzzyrider

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »
Thanks everyone.  You’ve confirmed my suspicion that something isn't right.  Not sure if it’s the rack or the panniers, but a trip to the bike shop or REI should fix things.  Thanks again.
Fuzzy