Author Topic: Boston to Albany, NY advice  (Read 1106 times)

Offline mucknort

Boston to Albany, NY advice
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:12:31 pm »
We are riding Boston to Seattle to SoCal this summer/fall. I have most of it planned except for Boston to Albany (where we will pick up the Erie Canal trail). Gonna take Minuteman rail trail out of Boston to Concord, MA. Wondering which (safe/quiet) roads to take to get over to Albany, NY. Rte 2 is a death trap. Any advice??? (Thinking of riding Norwottuck Rail Trail from east of Amherst to west of Northampton) Is it worth going south through CT?
Thanks!

Offline JimF

Re: Boston to Albany, NY advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:10:42 am »
Route 2 has many limited access sections, which, I believe, prohibit bicycles. Have you looked at Route 9? Getting out of the city can be a challenge. Have you looked at the commuter rail to Worcester, then 9 west to Pittsfield? Check US 20 from there; I'm not familiar with shoulder, etc., but you should be able to get info from both MA and NY DOT. Good luck.

Offline bktourer1

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »
You cant ride RT 2, and 2A isnt great.  Try commuter train to Worcester (off peak only during week). In worcester head south to Winchester Square to Stafford (ave/Rd?) and follow to RT 20 west (watch for Dead Horse Hill) and head for Springfield on 20 West( if you come this way and I'm home you can camp in my yard, contact me off list).  from springfield west on 20 to Albany.  Get the Rubels bike maps for central & western ma.  FYI if you take 9 west, after Ware there is a huge hill to climb on the way to Belchertown

ED

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:22 am »
You might want to check the resources at MassBike to get you to the MA/NY border.

http://www.massbike.org/

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes