Author Topic: Bike Friday & the trailer case  (Read 2980 times)

Offline tonythomson

Bike Friday & the trailer case
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »
Has anyone ever done a long distance tour using a Bike Friday and towing the trailer that converts into a case for carrying the bike in?

Planning to go Perth to Sydney Australia next year and for the first time considering an alternative to a regular touring bike.  But somewhat nervous about making the change.

Why consider it, hate taking bikes on planes and also want to then go over to New Zealand before returning to UK.  Also think it would be much simpler to get to airports etc in a taxi ready for flights.

Plus I can leave my touring bike here in USA ready for next adventure.
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline Tourista829

Re: Bike Friday & the trailer case
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 04:48:50 pm »
Tony,

I spoke to Rita at Bike Revolution in Oregon. They make and supply the collapsible  trailer for Bike Friday which works with their Samsonite hard case. . They will do custom trailers for the below sized hard case. So if you had a regular 26" wheeled bike with S&S couplers, you would not have to spend additional money on a Bike Friday. I rode a Bike Friday with case and trailer and really liked it. I never knew it was there. I liked the hitch and the two wheels when stopped. I did not ride over rough roads. It was nice not to have to worry about the bag. Below is a copy of the email response she sent back to me.  Maybe it will help you.

From   Subject   Size   Categories   
info@bikerev.com   Re: Bike Trailler 26x26x10 Hard Case.   9 KB      
Robert, thank you for your follow up. I checked in with the owner & Fabricator and the decision is... yes we can build a custom trailer for your hard case. Based  on the wider wheel span & your described use it will need to be a heavy duty trailer

cost will br $ 249. + shipping
and completing would be estimated at 7 - 10 days from time of order.
Thank you for your interest let me know your decision Take care Rita
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offline waynemyer

• World Traveler
  • More PITA than PITA. That's our motto!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:19:08 pm »
Yes.  Some distances >1000 miles.  But much more drastic: thousands of miles of utility cycling, commuting, and randonneuring around Oregon and Washington.  I am not kind to my bicycles or my trailers, as evidenced by the wear in the pictures I posted in a previous thread.

What are your specific concerns?
waynemyer.com
warmshowers.org  (user:waynemyer)

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »
Thanks guys that is encouraging and will follow up the leads.

My specific concerns
1.  Never veered off a regular 700 wheel size tourer before
2. Need to know that a BF & trailer will get me across Australia and not collapse in the middle of the Nullabar as plan to use the trailer mainly to haul extra water.  Which I will need as not a huge mile a day rider so could have 3 or 4 days in-between water holes.
So will gain confidence by what you say.
Thanks
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:49:24 am »
They make a heavy duty version of the trailer. You can add panniers. Contact Bike Revolution or Bike Friday for more info. This bike, trailer, bag combo is very rugged and has traveled around the world. With the right width tires, should be able to handle any terrain. I purchased a Kalkhoff folding bike (circa GDR)  for a mere $10, at a garage sale. I added $50 in fenders and tires. The bike rides great. I take it on trips by airline and have not paid any excess baggage charges, yet. It has a vintage 3 speed Sturmey Archer internal hub. It climbs great, stable, and I zip along at 15mph+ (22mph max) It is fun to ride. I would consider the above as an option, for your trip to Australia and New Zealand. If you use soft luggage, you will never have to worry about your suite case. I love the comments I get from people, "Nice bike, but where are the training wheels." :)

Offline waynemyer

• World Traveler
  • More PITA than PITA. That's our motto!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:07 am »
My specific concerns
1.  Never veered off a regular 700 wheel size tourer before
2. Need to know that a BF & trailer will get me across Australia and not collapse in the middle of the Nullabar as plan to use the trailer mainly to haul extra water.  Which I will need as not a huge mile a day rider so could have 3 or 4 days in-between water holes.
So will gain confidence by what you say.
Thanks

1. My BF accelerated like a shot from a gun.  Downhills at up to 49 MPH, the bike remained stable and did not exhibit any shimmy.  I never had it faster than that.  It was also easily rideable no-handed, without a handlebar bag.  A handlebar bag did make things more unstable, but that is the norm on every bike I have ever ridden.

The smaller wheels do not roll over rough pavement as well 700C.  This next part is very important: despite the smaller wheel size, the flex and slop in the steering and seat masts more than make up for the road feel of the smaller wheels.  Now, when I say "flex and slop," I mean in comparison to the flex available in any of my traditional road bikes.  I can unreservedly recommend the ride of a Bike Friday NWT.  And the Tikit, for that matter.

2. Get the heavy duty BF trailer.  Call it done.  You'll be more than fine in terms of capacity and durability.
waynemyer.com
warmshowers.org  (user:waynemyer)