Author Topic: Riding out of LA or San Diego in July  (Read 1039 times)

Offline RiderMom

Riding out of LA or San Diego in July
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:52 am »
We have a friend from Austria who is flying into L.A. with his bike beginning of July.  He wants to ride to NYC over a 7 week period.  Is this possible?  Does he just make his own way or get to San Diego and use the established Southern Tier route and then connect up with the mid U.S. route and on up to NYC.  Suggestions?  Comments?  He has good long distance riding experience but we do want to tell him any thoughts people might have.  His flight into L.A. has already been made, although it probably would have been better to fly into San Francisco!

Thanks

Offline aggie

Re: Riding out of LA or San Diego in July
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:30:10 am »
It is possible to get to NYC from LA in July.  He just has to be prepared to ride through a desert in the summer.

The easiest may be to follow the Pacific Coast route from LAX to the start point of the Southern Tier.  Then follow it to one of of the other ACA routes.  He could also work his way to Indio then follow I10 until he connects to the Southern Tier.  (From Indio to Blythe is about 90 miles.  There is a stop at Chiriaco summit with food and water -25 miles.  Then there is 1 rest stop with water and a small town called Desert Center - don't know of any services there.)  This wouldn't be the most scenic route and depending on the route taken will go through a lot of urban areas. 

Offline valygrl

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:32 pm »
Southern Tier in July does not sound like fun at all.  I'd fly to Portland or Seattle and take one of the northern routes.  It's going to be way too hot down there.

Probably get a flight on Southwest for less than $200 including the $50 bike charge.

If that sounds like a lot of money, think of it as 3 hotel rooms that he doesn't have to buy b/c he had heat stroke on the S.T.  Not to mention the hugely better quality of the riding experience for the whole time, b/c it's the right season to be in the north, not the south.  That's the important part, right?  The actual riding?

Offline Enginerve

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 12:44:39 pm »
I am coming the other way in that amount of time on the TransAm and it will be hot but bearable.  I am not familiar with the Western Express route, but in Illinois it is easy to jump the TransAm to the Northern tier.  When time is compressed, the route maps make it easier than free-routing can be.

Offline dfege

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:37:48 pm »
I have to agree with valygrl.  I live in San Diego and although the weather is nice hear on the coast, it is unbearably hot in the desert.  This time of year the daily temps are well over 100 degrees F.  It would be a much nicer ride to start in Portland or Seattle.