Author Topic: Edge 705 Problems  (Read 1271 times)

Offline sk

Edge 705 Problems
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:15:32 am »
I need help!
I am on a Southern Tier ride and was hoping to use my Garmin Edge 705 to help navigate. 
I have downloaded the ACA GPS files onto the device. 
Several Questions.
1.  most importantly, when i try to follow a file as a saved ride, the Garmin tells me to make a u turn at somewhat random, but frequent, intervals. What could be going on?  is there a directional element to the file?  in other words, i am going eastbound.  could the Garmin somehow think i am going westbound and therefore by confuse.  I have talked to both the Garmin and ACA tech support people and no one seems to understand what is going on.  i have checked the the waypoints are in the proper order - they are in fact going up as i look eastward.  Any ideas?
2.  the gps files downloaded as a series of files which contain lots of waypoints.  HO2200, HO2240, etc.  Do i have to select the saved ride that corresponds to where i am geographically, or will the device recognize where i am and automatically find the right file.  if i have to select the section i am currently riding in, how do i know when that section ends and i need to load up the next section (in other words, does it have a "border" of a file section and will it notify me in some way).
3.  i am using the Garmin software "Roadmap" as the way to look at the files on my computer.  is this the best software to be using.  it does not seem to me to be terribly user friendly.
Thanks so much for any light someone could shed on this.

Offline Fred Hiltz

Re: Edge 705 Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:30 am »
Hi, SK. The first chance you get, download the GPS Data User Guide at the same place you got the data, http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/gps.cfm. It answers all these questions more thoroughly than space permits here.

Although the Edge is not the best-suited GPS receiver for touring, you can make it work with a fair amount of hand-holding. To answer your questions briefly:

1. The waypoints are named in order of riding the maps in the sequence printed. If you are riding "backward" along the paper map, you will need to reverse the GPS routes. These waypoints are positioned for use in either direction. You will need to adjust some of them for the direction of travel on divided highways to prevent the receiver from telling you to go to the next exit and reverse. That is probably what makes all those U-turn prompts.

2. You need to select the saved route that you want it to navigate. The Edge does not do this automatically.

3. Not knowing Roadmap, I cannot advise how it stacks up against the many other programs. Perhaps a Roadmap user will chime in here. The Guide discusses the two broad classes of software: those that show the data graphically on a map and those that show them in lists and tables. The former are much easier to use but cost more. One might have come with the maps in your Edge.

Please write back after you have digested the Guide with any points that remain.

Fred