Author Topic: Pacific Coast - Rain or RV's, which is worse?  (Read 5059 times)

Offline scooper

Re: Pacific Coast - Rain or RV's, which is worse?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »
i rode it in july & the weather was great, traffic was horrible. luckly oregon has paths or wide shoulders
or i would of aborted the ride & gone inland. also if you do this go north to south.
scott

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 06:31:53 am »
I did the PCBT in 1993. Then I heard some cyclists would not go south of San Francisco because of all the traffic. Rain was a matter in Washington and Oregon. There was hardly any rain at all in California.

Offline cgarch

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 04:33:40 pm »
Hmm, I think that's a specious argument for not riding it. Sure traffic is heavy getting the through SF and the stretch to Half Moon Bay isn't the best, but after HMB, CA 1 is a gas. There is one side road to consider taking as well that takes you through the Gazos Creek area and off 1 for a bit. The tail wind to Santa Cruz is to die for (well almost). Getting through Santa Cruz is a little testing with a lot of twist and turns and traffic. South to Monterey isn't too bad, and after Monterey you're rewarded with Big Sur. I've lived in the Bay Area for most of my adult life and have ridden south from HMB at least once a year during the last 20 years to as far as SLO. I just don't see traffic in that area being any worse than any day in Lincoln, OR. A trip down the Pacific Coast isn't complete without the Big Sur stretch. Stopping in SLO makes more sense from that standpoint.

Craig
Santa Rosa, CA

Offline whittierider

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 01:00:09 am »
Then I heard some cyclists would not go south of San Francisco because of all the traffic.
It must have been a hermit.  The traffic from there to Malibu near the L.A. area is very, very light if you ask me.  We ride PCH regularly in SoCal and the traffic is not a problem (although I would prefer all green lights).

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »
My best day on the whole coast was Big Sur to San Simeon.  This should not be missed!
May the wind be at your back!

Offline BikingBrian

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:18 pm »
I have a last minute opportunity to ride the stretch from Crescent City to San Francisco soon, though part of the ride would be over the July 4 holiday weekend. How is the traffic over that weekend compare to other times? I am experienced and comfortable with using a mirror and probably have a higher tolerance for traffic than many other tourists, but on the other hand steady heavy traffic would be no fun either. Also, any issues with hotel availability and/or hiker/biker campsites over the holiday weekend?

Offline cgarch

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 12:56:55 am »
Which part of the ride? If you're starting in Crescent City that weekend, I would imagine it wouldn't be that bad since you're headed south. Monday would likely be bad with folks headed home. Remember though the shoulder on 101 on the climb south of CC is non-existent and no fun. Hard to tell which is worse - the RVs or the semi's spilling fish juice on the road. After that everything really is pretty cool. Fact of the matter is traffic will be heavy on the holiday weekend and diminish after Tuesday. HB sites shouldn't be a problem, but motels might.

Offline BikingBrian

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:09 am »
My tentative plan is to fly into Crescent City on Friday, July 1 and ride south from there the next day. How's that? - I don't know which way the holiday traffic goes. If I had to, I could fly up the Wednesday before instead, though for some reason the flights from SF cost $320 on the Thursday rather than the $160 on Wednesday and Friday.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 01:31:06 am »
My tentative plan is to fly into Crescent City on Friday, July 1 and ride south from there the next day. How's that? - I don't know which way the holiday traffic goes. If I had to, I could fly up the Wednesday before instead, though for some reason the flights from SF cost $320 on the Thursday rather than the $160 on Wednesday and Friday.

I rode it at almost exactly the same time 6 years ago, and it was great.  Traffic was bad only north of SF for 50-100 miles or so, and even then I never felt really threatened because I use a mirror and watch the behavior of the cars behind me.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline cgarch

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 11:03:08 am »

I don't see a problem with that. Gives you an early morning shot at the climb on 101. Crescent City is pretty far from the major urban centers so it's not like it gets a surge of holiday tourists. We rode it about the 3rd week of July in 2009 - you'll be fine - have a good trip.

cg

Offline litespeed

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:01 pm »
I did Petaluma to Guadalupe at the end of October a few years ago. Two big fronts/storms rolled through. It was no fun at all. I would recommend doing the coast just before Memorial Day or just after Labor Day if possible. That would avoid both rain and traffic.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 10:34:13 am »
I did Seattle to San Diego. I don't remember the traffic being that bad except for one stretch where the sidelane was narrow and festooned with large pieces of treebark from the passing logging trucks. The bark sometimes forced me out into the motor lane with heavy, fast traffic tearing by. I don't remember much trouble with traffic.