- I didn't make it in 2011, but now have a flight from England to Las Vegas booked for October 2012 and am planning a 4 week circular tour, hopefully similar to this one in Denis Koomen's wonderful video http://vimeo.com/34303784
Lots of questions to ask, but plenty of time to prepare.
1) Whats Mccarran airport like for handling bikes & bike access ?
2) Can anyone recommend a cheap & clean place to stay for the first night or so, somewhere to recover from the 10 hour flight & check my bike out ? I see there are a couple of Travelodges near the airport.
3) If I need any assistance or spares what Vegas bike shops are recommended ?
4) I use an Trangia alcohol stove when touring. On my last US trip I was burning Heet (yellow bottle) in Washington & Oregon, but it became hard to find in California. Is it readily available at gas stations in the south west ? If not, what alternatives are available ?
5) Are insects likely to be a problem in October ? Any other wildlife to be aware of ?
6) Water - I'll be carrying a couple of large bottles on the bike, and some platypus bladders as well. Is there sufficient available surface water to make a filter worth carrying ?
7) What's cellphone coverage like & who is the best provider ? I make look into getting a local sim.
All advice gratefully recieved.