- I didn't make it in 2011, but now have a flight from England to Las Vegas booked for October 2012 and am planning a 4 week circular tour, hopefully similar to this one in Denis Koomen's wonderful video
Lots of questions to ask, but plenty of time to prepare.
1) Whats Mccarran airport like for handling bikes & bike access ?
2) Can anyone recommend a cheap & clean place to stay for the first night or so, somewhere to recover from the 10 hour flight & check my bike out ? I see there are a couple of Travelodges near the airport.
3) If I need any assistance or spares what Vegas bike shops are recommended ?
4) I use an Trangia alcohol stove when touring. On my last US trip I was burning Heet (yellow bottle) in Washington & Oregon, but it became hard to find in California. Is it readily available at gas stations in the south west ? If not, what alternatives are available ?
5) Are insects likely to be a problem in October ? Any other wildlife to be aware of ?
6) Water - I'll be carrying a couple of large bottles on the bike, and some platypus bladders as well. Is there sufficient available surface water to make a filter worth carrying ?
7) What's cellphone coverage like & who is the best provider ? I make look into getting a local sim.
All advice gratefully recieved.