Author Topic: Sierra Cascades North to South, When?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline staehpj1

Sierra Cascades North to South, When?
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:55:30 pm »
I would be curious to hear any thoughts folks have on the best timing for a N-S Sierra Cascades tour.

Last year we rode the southern 1000 miles or so of it, starting in San Diego and flying home from Reno.  This year I am considering starting in the North and either flying home from Reno again or riding all the way to San Diego.  The weather would be the deciding factor on how far I would go.  We had extreme heat for much of the desert sections and I am really not up for a repeat of the conditions we rode in there in 2010.

Bottom line, my priority is to have decent weather in the North, figuring I'll bail from the Tahoe Reno Area or somewhere farther south if the weather is too hot to suit me.  I would definitely want to make it to at least the Reno Tahoe area so I will have seen the whole route (more or less), making it to San Diego would be a bonus.

Offline knolltop

• World Traveler
  • So, what's the problem?
Re: Sierra Cascades North to South, When?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:42 am »
Can't help w/ your question, but it's good to hear we may have another well-written journal to look forward to on CGOAB.   :)
Good luck!!
+-+ Michael +-+

Offline MrBent

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »
Boy, timing is everything, isn't it?  The calculations will depend on your average miles per day/week.  Generally speaking, except for the occasional storm, the Sierras are dry through Oct.  You may hit a storm or two, but they rarely close the passes for long.  And the further south you get, the longer the season.  If you can time it so you hit Reno about the end of Sept/start of Oct., you'd be able to hit the deserts without too much misery--although even then conditions can be a bit toasty.

I'm dealing with similar calculation issues for a Continental Divide ride I'm planning for 2012.  We need to be done with the highest passes of the Colorado Rockies as late in the year as we can manage.  I want to be in Pagosa Springs about the end of the first week of Oct.  We don't want to head into the Arizona desert until Nov.

Best of luck with your planning and report back on the ride!

Cheers,

Scott

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
That is helpful Scott.  I kind of figured that later was likely to be better.  It is hard for me because I am usually itching to go in the Spring :)

Michael, I'm glad you enjoyed my journals on cgoab.