Author Topic: Best Time to Ride East-West?  (Read 192 times)

Offline Johnny10000

Best Time to Ride East-West?
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:49 pm »
If travelling from Chicago to LA, what are the best times to depart?

Obviously, the desert heat is to be avoided in summer.  And no one wants to leave Chicago in early winter.

April?   September/October?    Whats the consensus on a good time to attempt this route?

Thanks!
John
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:19:08 pm by Johnny10000 »

Offline John Nelson

Re: Best Time to Ride East-West?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:59:18 am »
I started in August, and it worked well for me. It will still be hot as hell in the Mojave, but I tolerate heat well. If you time it for the best weather in the Mojave, you make too many other compromises.

Offline Johnny10000

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:36:44 pm »
John - Indeed you must tolerate heat well!

I was doing a road trip last year in early June out in the Death Valley and Joshua Tree park areas.  Yup, that was very hot and that was "early" summer.  I can't imagine August!

I'm thinking a mid-September departure from Chicago would work?  Still warm and moderate in Chicago but wouldn't arrive in the desert until late October/early November I would think.  I'm thinking that might be the best window.

John

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:51:04 pm »
I started from Chicago in August. I didn't hit the Mojave until September. Some would say, however, that September is hotter than August in the Mojave. At any rate, it didn't get above 105 F. That's not all that hot.