Author Topic: Welcome to Bicycle Route 66!  (Read 22249 times)

Offline JMilyko

Re: Welcome to Bicycle Route 66!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:51 am »
On a visit to Flagstaff AZ I needed some quick help with a bike problem.  Absolute Bikes on Rt 66 near the heart of town gave good service quickly and at a reasonable price. 

Is this the kind of information that is helpful for this effort?

You bet! Getting this kind of information helps us narrow the choices of what businesses to list when there are multiple options.

Thanks,
.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Crooked Letter

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »
Very excited about this project.

I live in a rural western Oklahoma town directly on 66... It would be a dream to have a route at my front door!

Oklahoma recently made advances on a state project... http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/oklahoma-senate-advances-route-66-bicycle-trail-bill/

I've got some ideas for routes west of OKC. Anyone else out there in OK?

Offline Crooked Letter

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:29 pm »
From Texola, Oklahoma... border of Texas/Oklahoma to Elk City there are many many miles of the original route that is drivable with very low traffic volume... quite literally we could put signs along it tomorrow and have a viable route... however Interstates parallel 66 much of the way... this gets annoying and... plus new bridges and removed bridges skips original 66 towns (like my own) that were on the map for years... until now LOL.  Fortunately there are some great paved country road... no stripes... quiet... that are much more pleasant even if its only one mile line from the Interstate... additionally I'd love to some reasonable 'jogs' in the bike route to show off some of the geology of the Great Plains... (and come to my front door! ;)  its not flat as everyone thinks... :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:03:59 pm by Crooked Letter »

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 08:44:23 am »
Very excited about this project.

I live in a rural western Oklahoma town directly on 66... It would be a dream to have a route at my front door!

Oklahoma recently made advances on a state project... http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/oklahoma-senate-advances-route-66-bicycle-trail-bill/

I've got some ideas for routes west of OKC. Anyone else out there in OK?

Great! I've sent you an email to follow up.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline john

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 09:07:07 am »
Hi My name is John and I am a member of 'The Sons of Shankly' a group of middle to old aged lunatics from Liverpool England who raise money for Mc Millan Cancer Relief.  We cycled Route 66 in the summer of 2005 and raised $50.000 for the cause.  In July - August of 2012 we are attempting to cycle along Route 66 again but will via off near springfield and cycle on through Kentucky and Vaginia.  We will then be able to say we cycled from the Pacific in Los Angles to the Atlantic at Virginia Beach.  If anyone could advise us about the route from Route 66 at Springfield to Vaginia Beach we would be most greatful.

Good luck with your personal adventures or goals.

Regards:

John & The Sons of Shankly

Offline csykes

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 11:29:54 pm »
Be careful how you spell Virginia!

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »
Hi My name is John and I am a member of 'The Sons of Shankly' a group of middle to old aged lunatics from Liverpool England who raise money for Mc Millan Cancer Relief.  We cycled Route 66 in the summer of 2005 and raised $50.000 for the cause.  In July - August of 2012 we are attempting to cycle along Route 66 again but will via off near springfield and cycle on through Kentucky and Vaginia.  We will then be able to say we cycled from the Pacific in Los Angles to the Atlantic at Virginia Beach.  If anyone could advise us about the route from Route 66 at Springfield to Vaginia Beach we would be most greatful.

Good luck with your personal adventures or goals.

Regards:

John & The Sons of Shankly
It would be pretty easy to join the Trans America Route not too awfully far south of there.  That or maybe join it where the two routes cross near Girard KS
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:03:38 pm by staehpj1 »

Offline Bicycle Rider

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:59 pm »
Unfortunately, living in South Carolina I cannot give much physical help. However I am very interested in the progress of this route, as I am currently in the early planning stages of the east/west leg of a cross country and back grand tour. My biggest problem so far is I want to pass near Dallas, TX on my way to Los Angeles. I have found a possible way as far west as Anniston, AL. (about 70 miles east of Birmingham). so the first part of the way is pretty well off. Dallas to Los Angeles is still a big blank spot though.

A long time ago I drove from San Diego to Dallas along US 380. A very nice road, but that was 30 years ago, and I don't remember there being much along the way as far as overnight stays were concerned. At least not close enough to each other for practical self contained bicycle travel. And it only goes as far west as I-25 in New Mexico. Still, it remained my only known corridor. However[comma] it is just a little over 300 miles from Dallas to Amarillo (200 to Oklahoma City). If the 66 route is finished by then it would be perfect, as I could pick it up there and it will take me all the way to El Lay! :D So obviously I am going to watch this thread with great interest. Anybody have any wild ideas as to when this A.C.A. route might just come into existence?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:51:32 pm by Bicycle Rider »
May you always have the winds at your back, and a low enough gear for the grades

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 07:48:36 am »
Hi Bicycle Rider,

Anybody have any wild ideas as to when this A.C.A. route might just come into existence?

It will likely be late 2014 before the first map sections will be available.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline Bicycle Rider

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:27 am »
Alas, that is at least a year too late, I'm planning to depart in March of '13 :-[  I don't suppose you know of a web site that shows places to spend the night either on or near the highway (camping or motel)? I can find alternate routes on my map program for the sections where the interstate covers it.
May you always have the winds at your back, and a low enough gear for the grades

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:33 am »
I don't suppose you know of a web site that shows places to spend the night either on or near the highway (camping or motel)? I can find alternate routes on my map program for the sections where the interstate covers it.

You might want to check the resources in these two blog posts to fill your gap:

http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2010/11/bicycling-mother-road.html
http://blog.adventurecycling.org/2010/12/bike-route-66-continued.html

I hope this helps.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline Moni

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:31 pm »
I am in Oklahoma City, and previously lived in Tulsa.  Rode from Tulsa to Luther several times, self contained... and now, rode from Luther back to Edmond numerous times.

I currently live on the route (66 that is).  I could prolly help some too.

I am also in the warm showers list, and let people stay at my place, when ever possible.

Moni

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:38 pm »
Hi Moni,

Always good to hear from you! Thanks for offering some assistance with Bicycle Route 66. I believe we've already had the driving research done through Oklahoma but may want feedback as the process proceeds. If you could send me your current contact information, I'll keep it on file for that purpose.

Also, if you'd like to be listed on the maps as a Cyclists Only Camping or Lodging option, we can do that, too. Just let me know.

.Jenn.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org

Offline Moni

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:14 pm »
Jenn, you have mail.

Moni

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 08:17:35 am »
On a visit to Flagstaff AZ I needed some quick help with a bike problem.  Absolute Bikes on Rt 66 near the heart of town gave good service quickly and at a reasonable price. 

Is this the kind of information that is helpful for this effort?

Yes, this kind of information can be helpful. Especially when there are multiple choices for the service directory. Thanks for letting us know. I'll put your note in the  file.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
www.adventurecycling.org