Now some reasons to have music on your bike:
1. I like it. I can listen in my car when I drive to work, why not when I bike to work?
2. It is a great aid on fitness rides. I can train longer and harder with a good beat.
3. My kids like to listen while we go on family rides. We have collected pop and traditional music from travels all over the world and we love to listen to it.
4. Safety. The kids can get stretched out on group rides and I ride clean up in the back. I don't have to worry though because they know that if they can't hear the music they need to slow down or wait for me to catch up. I can turn it off if I want them to stop.
5. Meet new friends. I pulled up next to some grandmother on RAGBRAI when the playlist delivered "If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time" and we had a good laugh and chat.
I find that on long, solo rides, the music is on less than half the time. So plenty of time to listen to the sounds of the world around me or check my shifting.
If you have tips on good biking music, especially off beat stuff, I'd love to hear it. Always looking for something new.