Author Topic: Worst experience across the US was in CO  (Read 6947 times)

Offline johnsondasw

Re: Worst experience across the US was in CO
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:39:19 pm »
I've spent some time in Virginia Beach.  It's potentially the perfect bike town.  Weather is fairly benign, albeit somewhat muggy in the summer.  It is absolutely flat in every direction you can see.  But you can spend a whole week there and not see one bike rider.  I saw no bike lanes or trails and most of the roads have no shoulders, even the ones out of the commercial areas. Just cars, cars, cars (and their attendant pollution and noise) everywhere.  It's such a waste of good potential.  This would be a good area to help cut our oil dependance, not to mention to increase local health metrics!
May the wind be at your back!

Offline Dr. John

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 02:45:58 pm »
The lack of shoulders is VA seems to be problematic.  The number of times I've had to ride a 4-lane for a mile or so (to jump from one wonderful country road to another), only to find no shoulder, or just as often the road was repaved and the shoulder was left only passible with a full-suspension bike and a lot of swearing, seemed to be the rule.  And the 4-lane was heavy, very fast traffic.  Often I've ended up pushing the bike well to the right of what once passed as a shoulder.
The worst story I have heard was from an old spark a couple of years ago.  She commuted to college in Boston by bike.  One day she was struck in an intersection.  While laying in the middle of the road with her mangled bike, some *&^%$% was honking and yelling at her to get out of the way.  She ended up in the hospital for the night, and it took her months to mostly recuperate.
As for CO, there are easily two different Colorados.  The most disturbing is how often I have heard the "N-word" in western CO, after almost never hearing it in the modern South.  I will say from my experiences hiking out here, I feel the mountain biking community may be the most curtious I have seen - they almost always yield the right-of-way to hikers.

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »
[quote author=
As for CO, there are easily two different Colorados.  The most disturbing is how often I have heard the "N-word" in western CO, after almost never hearing it in the modern South. 
[/quote]
That's the mountain west. You meet the nicest people everywhere you go.  But I can't count the number of pickups I've seen in Idaho and Montana sporting the confederate flag (and roaring by with no consideration of leaving any room for the bike. ):
May the wind be at your back!