Author Topic: Sierra Cascades, north to south or south to north??  (Read 1373 times)

Offline kstarmac

Sierra Cascades, north to south or south to north??
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »
Pretty much set on doing the SC route this summer in late june. Any thoughts of the winds that time of year and which way they prevail the most? (I did PCH in august from the "preferred" north and the trip was a breeze (literally) with nice tail winds all the way. Just wondering if anyone had any "preferred" direction of the Sierra Cascade route. Thanks

Offline staehpj1

Re: Sierra Cascades, north to south or south to north??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »
Pretty much set on doing the SC route this summer in late june. Any thoughts of the winds that time of year and which way they prevail the most? (I did PCH in august from the "preferred" north and the trip was a breeze (literally) with nice tail winds all the way. Just wondering if anyone had any "preferred" direction of the Sierra Cascade route. Thanks

It is pretty hard to be sure the passes will be open and not have extreme heat going S to N.  Last year we started in San Diego on June 4th and were sweating whether Tioga Pass would be open.  They try to have it open Memorial Day, but it is never a sure thing if it will be open before the 4th of July.  BTW when I said sweating I meant figuratively, but we were sweating literally as well, it was brutally hot for much of the portion before Yosemite and the only camping that was open in Yosemite before July was in the Valley.  That made for a long climb to get out of the valley and to somewhere that we could legally camp.

We only did the lower 1000 miles or so and I hope to go back and either do it all or just the part I have not done.  If I do I will go late season, like mid August, and start in the North hoping to get over the passes before snow and into the desert after it is cooler.

Timing is tricky unless you like riding in 110F heat (I don't).

Offline kstarmac

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »
Wow, I was watching your posts when you and your daughter did your trip!! Thats cool that you were the one to reply too. I've seen your other posts as well on CGOAB. I know you ran out of time on your trip. I hope you can complete the SC route. I really enjoyed reading your journal.
 Your right, timing will be important and I have also had thoughts of riding it late summer as well (end of september) As far as the heat goes, I know the area well east of san diego where you ran into the nasty heat. (I grew up in san diego county) and think that palmdale to tehachapie wasnt to pleasant either.
 My background in cycling is road racing and mtn bike racing for years so ive trained and raced in many "harsh" conditions from mostly-southern cal to northern cal. Ive always wanted to do a long trip though.
My first trip was only a six day ride from SF to Huntington Beach in 2008 (avg'd 85-90 mi a day or so) with a friend on our road bikes. That trip was pretty much a breeze. We spoiled ourselves and stayed in hotels with our families as they drove ahead to the next day's destination). However, I want to do the SC route on my road bike, then eventually the Great Divide route on my MTB, N to S - thats the ultimate goal.... (now that Im 51). For those trips I plan on camping 75% of the time. Ive started collecting lighteight gear already. More than likely be pulling a BOB since my road bike is carbon. I'm going for a lightweight bikepacking set-up for the MTB.
Thanks for your reply and hope to read more of your journals. Those are memories that you will have with your daughter forever..Good luck on doing the rest of your trip. I also look at Crazyguyonabike.com and bikepacking.net.  Thanks, Ken

Offline nerdwin

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »
I'm also planning on doing at least 1000 miles (Crater Lake to Lake Isabella) in mid-June. To re-iterate the original question...is there any advice on prevailing winds that time of year? N>S or S>N?

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »
I'm also planning on doing at least 1000 miles (Crater Lake to Lake Isabella) in mid-June. To re-iterate the original question...is there any advice on prevailing winds that time of year? N>S or S>N?
Not sure what is normal but I think winds were mostly out of the north when we were there June of last year.

Offline estherwarren

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:33:24 pm »
Very interesting thoughts and comments. We are currently doing the SC (S>N); just having a rest day in Palmdale and hoping that the weather forecast for cooler weather for the weekend is correct. The stretch from Palmdale to Tehachapi (or going on to Lake Isabella) looks like a real challenge for us. Living in Scotland (UK), we are not quite used to this sort of dryness and these temperatures.
btw, to note: H2 was actually still officially closed, but a nice road gang and officials let us through - it was actually fine for bikes.
Looking ahead and coming back to the original question: Tioga Pass. I think we are still about 2 weeks away from it, but looking at the opening dates throughout the previous years, nothing seems to be guaranteed. Does anyone have a suggestion on what alternative routes to take, if the pass is still closed?
btw.if interested, we currently blog on estherwarren.wordpress.com.
Thanks. Esther

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:22:40 am »
Hi Esther,

Looking ahead and coming back to the original question: Tioga Pass. I think we are still about 2 weeks away from it, but looking at the opening dates throughout the previous years, nothing seems to be guaranteed. Does anyone have a suggestion on what alternative routes to take, if the pass is still closed?

I'd suggest calling the Yosemite Park Ranger to find out the most up to date information and their suggestions.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/contacts.htm

I'd love to hear a report back on how it went.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes