Author Topic: Cyclist from Finland looking for good routes in north of California  (Read 785 times)

Offline Miksu

Hello!

I am from Finland and I haven`t bee earlier in Usa. I come to San Francisco begin of june and I am going to do 12 days cycling tour. I use road bike and normally I ride 70-100 miles in day( 4-7h) and after that I looking around  and I want to see local lifestyle.
I would like to see beautiful scenerys, places and nature.
First idea is to ride San Francisco to Big Sur, Paso Robles, Yosemite national park and back to San Francisco.
second thought is to ride to lake Tahoe, ride little bit route 89 ( sierra cascades) to Greenvilleand after that to the coast ( north of San Francisco) , maybe Napa valley is good place to cycle.

I prefer sleep affordable motels, but maybe I will take smal tent with me

Do you know good routes or do you have some other advice?
thank you
Miksu

Offline CMajernik

Re: Cyclist from Finland looking for good routes in north of California
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 10:28:15 am »
Go to the online Cyclists' Yellow Pages and type San Francisco in the search. It lists some maps and guidebooks of the area. If you search California there's a wider selection.
http://cyp.adventurecycling.org:8080/4dcgi/index.a4d?action=cyp.online
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline rvklassen

Re: Cyclist from Finland looking for good routes in north of California
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:38:16 pm »

First idea is to ride San Francisco to Big Sur, Paso Robles, Yosemite national park and back to San Francisco.
second thought is to ride to lake Tahoe, ride little bit route 89 ( sierra cascades) to Greenville and after that to the coast ( north of San Francisco) , maybe Napa valley is good place to cycle.

I prefer sleep affordable motels, but maybe I will take small tent with me

Do you know good routes or do you have some other advice?
thank you
Miksu

I don't know what you mean by "affordable motels".   Relative to much of the rest of the country, what you'll find in most of the area you mention is anywhere from 50% higher to 100% higher than what you'd find elsewhere.  But doing a quick search for cost of living in Finland seems to indicate that this might look reasonable to you.  Hiker/biker campsites are MUCH cheaper than motels. 

But you will get good scenery.  If you do go to Yosemite, get reservations.  They fill up early.