Author Topic: US17 / Talmadge Memorial Bridge in Savannah  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Landsharkrider

US17 / Talmadge Memorial Bridge in Savannah
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:11:52 pm »
Does anybody have any experience with riding over the Talmadge Memorial Bridge from SC into Savannah, GA?

I'm doing a trip down the coast and can't find much information about whether bikes are permitted.  Going inland to cross over would be much less desirable for me for a number of reasons - longer, uglier, etc.  From there, will be going from downtown Savannah out to Tybee Island.

Any advice would be great.  Thanks!

Offline litespeed

Re: US17 / Talmadge Memorial Bridge in Savannah
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
US17 between Hardeeville and Savannah is a lousy bicycling road - a shoulderless divided parkway. Unless you need to go to downtown Savannah I recommend you get off 17 about 8 miles south of Hardeeville and go over the river on the old bridge to Port Wentworth. Then you can skirt Savannah on 307 and back to 17. This is the route I take when going up the east coast. Despite spending a total of a few months working and living in downtown Savannah I have never been over the big 17 bridge so I can't tell you how bicycle friendly it is.

Call the Perry Rubber Bicycle Shop in downtown Savannah. 912 236-9929. They can probably help you.

Offline dreitman

Re: US17 / Talmadge Memorial Bridge in Savannah
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »
The bridge prohibits bicycles, but last year we rode over the bridge anyway.  No one stopped us, but be careful of the expansion joints and the traffic.  My friend ended up getting a flat tire riding over the expansion joints.