Regional Discussion Area > Pacific Northwest

Porttland Or, to Denver

(1/2) > >>

smrachek:
I'm looking to do my first solo unsupported trip hopefully from Portland to Denver or Denver to Portland if that is the best way to go.  Any advice on routes, time of year and which direction (east or west) would be appreciated.  Thanks

tomdett:

--- Quote from: smrachek on May 09, 2011, 09:48:32 am ---I'm looking to do my first solo unsupported trip hopefully from Portland to Denver or Denver to Portland if that is the best way to go.  Any advice on routes, time of year and which direction (east or west) would be appreciated.  Thanks

--- End quote ---

I am planning to do the same leaving Portland (or perhaps Astoria) on June 8.  Planning on following the approximate corridor of I-84 (as I don't plan to carry camping gear) to Salt Lake City and then connect with US-40 at Heber UT to traverse east to the Denver area.    So far I have not received much help in actual routing from the Columbia River valley to the SLC area.  Hope someone posts some help with that soon. 

Tom
Longmont CO   

smrachek:
I was contemplating the Transamerica Trail, you're way seems to be shorter, did you have any idea on how long your trip would take

tomdett:

--- Quote from: smrachek on May 12, 2011, 10:46:19 am ---I was contemplating the Transamerica Trail, you're way seems to be shorter, did you have any idea on how long your trip would take

--- End quote ---
I am thinking 3 weeks from Portland to Longmont, then 2 weeks to W. Michigan via ferry from Milwalkee, then 2 weeks via the Lake Erie connector and N. Tier to Ticonderoga NY and a bee line to Ogunquit ME.   7 weeks on the road plus a couple of weeks off in Longmont and L. Michigan beach. 

JMilyko:
Hi smrachek and tomdett:

You might want to get in touch with the bicycle coordinators for the states in which you will be traveling through and need routing. Most have resources of some sort as well as printed materials. The coordinators
have a wealth of information that they can distribute for no charge. Most every state publishes a bicycle map of their state that they will send out for free. And while the maps aren't as detailed as ours, they generally offer suggested roads for cycling through their state. Here is a link to the contact information for all of the bicycle coordinators: 

http://www.walkinginfo.org/assistance/contacts.cfm

When you get back, I'm sure others would love to hear what routing you came up with and how it went for you.

Hope this helps with your planning.

.Jennifer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version