Author Topic: Going to the Sun Road Status  (Read 2997 times)

Offline indyfabz

Going to the Sun Road Status
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:57:30 am »
An amazing photo taken a few days ago which should give you an idea of how much work they have ahead of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/5806258692/

Offline jsieber

Re: Going to the Sun Road Status
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:33:43 am »
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing the link!

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:13 am »
My pleasure.  What I neglected to mention is that the visitor center, the roof of which you can see sticking up through the snow, sits on a small hill above the road.  I guesstimate that it's base sits about 15-20' feet above the road surface.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
I cycled that road in 1987. I think it was in July. Chunks of ice as big as a car lined the roadway in some higher elevations. It's a nice downhill spin from that visitor center. I went west to east.

Offline indyfabz

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:07:39 pm »
Went west to east in '99.  Climbed the west side and came back down in '00.  In '09 we planned to go east to west but the pass was still closed the last week of June.  Had to ride all the way around the park in one day (about 100 miles) so we could ride up and back down the west side the following day.  The NPS opened the west side up to Logan Pass that day.  The entire road opened the following day. I will have to go back some day to climb the east side.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 06:54:44 pm »
ACA had a really cool poster of someone doing the Going to the Sun Highway a Logan Pass.

I had to wait for them to open the road through Glacier National Park. It was afternoon by the time I got started after a refreshing dip in an ice cold lake. It was some time around late dark thirty when I got to the visitor center and everything was closed. The downhill spin was nice and I had to make sure my brakes were in good working order. I slept that night in a small camground behind or near a tavern. The next morning I saw an old schoolbus for sale. 

Offline jsieber

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »
ACA had a really cool poster of someone doing the Going to the Sun Highway a Logan Pass.

If this is the one it is still available. http://www.adventurecycling.org/store/index.cfm/product/270_100/going-to-the-sun-poster.cfm

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »
That poster must have been pre-avalanche; the pavement looks really smoth!

;D

Offline rabbitoh

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

If this is the one it is still available. http://www.adventurecycling.org/store/index.cfm/product/270_100/going-to-the-sun-poster.cfm

I have had that poster hanging on my lounge room wall for the past 20 years now. I sent away to ACA for mine, once I had gotten back home, and then had it framed. It is a wonderful poster and amazing that it is still available.

I cycled over Going To The Sun highway (E to W) in late July, so no problems with its being open. The poster depicts the "cyclist" climbing from the western side of the pass.
Good Cycling
Dennis

Offline JMilyko

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:09:20 am »
This is what the National Park Service has to say about the status of Going to the Sun Rd.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

It's possible it could be opened to bicyclists a few days before cars.

.Jennifer.
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring and empowering people to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x205
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 10:37:25 am »
The poster I saw in 1988 was different from that one. It was more of a side shot, closer up, of a guy wearing a bandana as a sweat band. It reminded me of myself, in those days of course.