Author Topic: How do you train for a long tour?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline tonythomson

How do you train for a long tour?
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:35 am »
Heading for a ride across Australia in September and needing to get fit.  How am i doing it on a perfect day for cycling in UK?

Sitting on my bike, set up on my turbo trainer, in front of the TV watching the Tour de France.  I managed to beat Cav in the  intermediate sprint and then take the polka dot jersey in the mountains.  The riders do have one advantage on me as they can free wheel down the other side, I still have to pedal!

My wife not too happy with me throwing my empty drink bottles across the lounge.  At least I missed her ornaments - unfortunately.  :D

Anyway quite often in my own little world when touring. how about you.
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline Westinghouse

Re: How do you train for a long tour?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »
Generally speaking, I usually ran on a tread mill and lifted free-weights and used the machines. For one tour I worked out two hours at a shot three times a week for eight months. I would work out anyway regardless of an upcoming tour. That's the kind of fitness routine I would recommend, and anything else that helps.

Offline tsteven4

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »
From my experience it depends dramatically on age.  In my twenties I would ride up the local mountain, about 2000 feet, once or twice, and then I was good to land in the Alps.  Thirty years later we try to get in 6-8 rides with 5000+ft of climbing, in addition to that same 2000ft ride most every week of the year, and we don't really get into the groove on a tour until about the third week.

It also depends on the length of the tour.  If you are going for months then it doesn't really matter.  If you are going for weeks it is nice to be in pretty good shape at the start.

I can't do the trainer, I would rather ride in the snow.  Too boring for me. 

Touring for me is 12mph, all day long, day after day, definitely not a sprint.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »
My training consists of puttering around the house and properties - always repairs and projects to do - and a leisurely 60-75 mile Florida-flat ride on Sunday. When it comes time to take off I load up Pete's Machine and head off. At 70 I still have no trouble knocking off 100 mile days. By the time I get to the mountains I'm ready for them. Perseverance and an existential outlook on life gets me down the road.

Offline LexieCali

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:17:58 am »
I have been getting in shape for a longish tour. My regiment:
Interval running 45 minutes  for stamina - 2 times a week
Weights 1 hour to 1.5 hours for strength - 3 times a week
Power Yoga to get the kinks out the joints and prevent injury  - 1 time a week
Interval cycling - 2-3 times per week

I also went through and finished the P90X program a month ago. Kicks anybody's butt, and real deal too.

Good job on those TV training sessions! Keep working on that aim.  :)

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:01:46 pm »
Never tried it but has anyone set their bike up on a running machine ?  Wonder if that would work?

Managed to beat Cav on the sprint again  :D
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline rjones35

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:57 am »
Totally not really related!!  Lexiecali - how was P90x? I was thinking that I should give it a go over the winter, but I don't have any weights or pull up bars or anything.  How much is that stuff involved? Up till now all my workouts have consisted of going for a long bike ride!!