Author Topic: Sourhern Tier Route-Travelling from UK- Help  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Island Girl

Sourhern Tier Route-Travelling from UK- Help
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:06:16 am »
Hi,  I hope to cycle the Southern Tier Route next year with ACA. If anyone from the UK, reads this, who has already done it, could I pick your brains.
What airline was the best to get you to San Diego and after finishing did you use Jacksonville Airport to return.
Living in the UK, and I live on a Scottish Island, how did you cope with the heat and humidty.  The trip starts in March
and finishes in May.
I have many more questions so hope there is someone out there who can help me.

Offline barrywilko

Re: Sourhern Tier Route-Travelling from UK- Help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:15 am »
I flew into San Fran, then down the coast to San Diego. From St Augustine I cycled to Orlando to fly back. Only 2 or 3 days extra to do that. Then I was able to fly with Virgin Atlantic  both ways as they will carry a bike for free and with absolutely no fuss, a very important consideration. Virgin Atlantic also fly into San Diego I think although I am sure they also fly into LA, and it is only 2 to 3 days from there to San Diego.
Hope this helps,
Barry

Offline Island Girl

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:06:26 pm »
Thanks, Barry. That good info. I'll certainly give Virgin Atlantic a look.

Offline Tourista829

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 11:17:55 pm »
Once you get to St. Augustine, eat at Osteen's, rent a car, and go out of Orlando, you may save money.

Offline bobbys beard

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »
I'm from the UK (somerset) and cycling the southern tier right now. You're going to have a great time :) feel free to pick my brains, but I must say that there's very little to be concerned about so long as you are prepared and fit. If you're not, you will be after Texas!

Offline seematt

Re: Southern Tier Route-Travelling from UK- Help
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:24:47 pm »
You may also check Orlando/Sanford airport.  they used to have cheap flights to Manchester and perhaps other cities in the UK.  But we have had guests fly Virgin Atlantic and it seems a good choice....Allow a few days to check out St. Augustine, it's America's oldest city!

Offline tonythomson

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:03:38 am »
Hi I'm down in Southampton if that's any where near you.  I did the ST last year and would be happy to talk you through it.  However, I'm  flying out to Oz on Monday to ride Perth to Sydney and will be back mid November.  I also have a house not too far from Orlando Int airport so if we are there when you set off/arrive you are more than welcome to crash there.  However, I would recommend starting at San Diego.

Some pics here of ST http://www.tonystravels.com/  

Good luck and you'll have fun.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:39:44 am by Fred Hiltz »
Just starting to record my trips  www.tonystravels.com

Offline MrBent

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 04:01:36 pm »
Maybe not possible for you, but see if you can start a month earlier.  That could make a HUGE difference regarding heat/humidity.  You'd have some frosty nights on some passes/areas, but the deserts and deep south would be more manageable.

Scott

Offline dfege

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »
I think that British Airlines has just started a non-stop flight from Heathrow to San Diego. I don't know the cost, but it sure would be convenient if you are traveling from London.

Offline dfege

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »
Hit the send button too soon.  I live in San Diego, let me know if you need a place to stay.  Send me message.  You could stay with us for a day or two to adjust to the time change.  Send me a "Message" if you are intersted.