Bicycle Travel > Connecting ACA Routes

Seattle to Northern Tier

(1/5) > >>

MattRuscigno:
Hello!
I'm looking to ride out of Seattle and connect to the Northern Tier, eastbound. I would prefer to ride Northeast than straight North as I am on a bit of a time constraint (I'm Minneapolis-bound).
I came across this: http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=7048.msg34747#msg34747 which is helpful, but I'm looking for other opinions.
I'm an experienced cyclist and prefer direct routes over numerous turns at the expense of lighter traveled roads.
Thanks in advance for any input!

indyfabz:
See this recent discussion:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/index.php?topic=9428.0

I took the ferry to Bremerton and then followed AC's Pacific Coast Route to the intersection of the Northern Tier twice. Not an inordinate amount of twists and turns, a couple of nice ferry rides and some nice places to stay along the way.

MattRuscigno:
Thank you! I'm studying up on that thread right now.

olsondp:
I have friends who have crossed the country from Seattle and they rode US 2 to Sand point Idaho & then picked up the northern tier. You only have 1 mtn. pass instead of 5. The sections of US 2 I have ridden have nice wide shoulders and the traffic is not all that bad. Check Seattle metro's Web site and I think you may be able to take a city bus out to Monroe WA or at least Woodinville WA. This will get you out most of the Seattle sprawl. When you get to Spokane there is a bike trail through much of the city.  I think it is called the centennial trail. US 2 is faster & easier. It is also hotter and drier.

indyfabz:

--- Quote from: olsondp on August 03, 2011, 07:51:56 pm ---I have friends who have crossed the country from Seattle and they rode US 2 to Sand point Idaho & then picked up the northern tier. You only have 1 mtn. pass instead of 5. The sections of US 2 I have ridden have nice wide shoulders and the traffic is not all that bad.
--- End quote ---

And miss SR 20 across the Cascades? And Sherman Pass? *Gasp!*

For reasons that I won't go into, we strayed from the NT route and instead took U.S. 2 between Newtown and Sandpoint in '99. I ride in big city and suburban sprawl traffic all the time and I was pretty darn scared, as was everyone else in our group. Minimal shoulder in places and fast traffic, including trucks. When we got to our host's house in town and told her what we had done, she said we were nuts. When I passed that way the next year, I made sure to "stay on the path." Besides, the old U.S. 95 bridge across the lake is a cool ride. Saw a mother turkey with chicks in tow on the path leading to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version